-
Knoppix 8.1 flash persistent image seems really slow
Hi all,
I was working with a flash install of knoppix and it seems really slow, much slower than I would expect.
so I run a command like dpkg on knoppix running without any persistent image (just using the ram of the system) and it goes instantly.
Code:
time sudo dpkg -i mame_0.186-dmo1_i386.deb mame-data_0.186-dmo1_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mame.
(Reading database ... 449729 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mame_0.186-dmo1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking mame (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mame-data.
Preparing to unpack .../mame-data_0.186-dmo1_all.deb ...
Unpacking mame-data (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Setting up mame-data (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Setting up mame (1:0.186-dmo1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47+b1) ...
real 0m13.315s
user 0m6.271s
sys 0m5.182s
If I run with a persistent hard drive image, I get snappy results also.
However, when I use a flash drive it's a different story.
Running the same command under a persistent flash drive it takes forever...
Code:
time sudo dpkg -i mame-data_0.189+dfsg.1-1_all.deb mame_0.189+dfsg.1-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mame-data.
(Reading database ... 449729 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mame-data_0.189+dfsg.1-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking mame-data (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mame.
Preparing to unpack .../mame_0.189+dfsg.1-1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking mame (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Setting up mame-data (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Setting up mame (0.189+dfsg.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-2) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-9) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
real 6m23.851s
user 0m8.202s
sys 0m6.430s
Why is flash so slow? I wouldn't expect it to take multiple minutes to do these things. 6 minutes seems like an eternity.
Is it because it wants to journalize everything with reiserfs?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$1749.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Lot 300 Micron 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$9000.00

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99