You cannot.
My system is Live Knoppix 7.0.2 and kernel 3.3.7 installed to hard disc.
Can I happily update kernel 3.3.7 to kernel 4.7.9, and if I do, will the rest of
my system carry on the same as before?
The reason I want to update the kernel is because I've bought a new Seagate 2Tb
usb hdd, and it won't work on my present system (it works fine in Windows 7).
My testing, failed fixes, and Internet trawling leads me to the conclusion that the kernel
probably contains a bug that is preventing the drive from working.
(The following link shows what the problem is:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/323...340#post135340 )
The reason I want to update specifically to kernel 4.7.9 is because the Seagate
drive works OK with Live Knoppix 7.7 on usb memory stick, which has kernel
4.7.9.
My humble questions:
Please could you tell me what steps I carry out in order to update to kernel 4.7.9.
I'm out of my depth here, so could you spell out each step please.
Where do I get kernel 4.7.9 from?
Do I need to backup first?
Also, how do I revert to kernel 3.3.7 if I need to?
Last edited by winger9; 02-03-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added text
You cannot.
Thanks philo (#2). Could you tell me why I can't update to kernel 4.7.9?
Also, is there a kernel version that I can update to, which doesn't have the
bug which prevents the operation of my usb drive?
I've thought of another possibility, but I don't really know what I'm talking
about. Is it possible to do either of the following, in order to get the Seagate
drive to work:
a) Patch my present kernel (3.3.7).
b) Load a module that DOES correctly operate usb hard disc drives. I understand
that the "uas" module contains bugs that prevent correct operation of such
drives.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500
$19.99
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99