-
Junior Member
registered user
installing a nic driver
I decided to remasater the Knoppix iso in order to include the broadcom 44xx nic driver that lots of mobos have integrated.
After some pitfalls that have been overcomed with the help of people on this list , I managed last night to burn the ISO cd but it seems that it's identical to the original????
So I need you to help me find out what I did wrong.
Everything went according to instractions and I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?) . rest of the procedure went fine and finally I burned the iso.
When i used the new iso to start knoppix again it did not recognize my card , neither when i used setnetwork card.Do i have to change anything else in the config files or just installing the driver should be enough?
Thanx in advance Tassos
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: installing a nic driver

Originally Posted by
cybervet
I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?)
I can't really be of much assistance on the customization but it is just fine that you installed your .deb with mc. I do it all the time- it works great.
Very cool that you're trying to make a remaster w/ the Broadcom NIC- I imagine alot of people will want it. gluck
-
Junior Member
registered user
.deb is the problem?
Ok the driver for the 10/100 broadcom is in debian site under the /pool, and is the file :
bcm4400-source_1.0.1-1_all.deb
Is this a source or a binary?
I tried apt-get install , no result (can't find the /pool)
same for the apt-get source
I d/l the .deb to my local hd
I tried in the root console MC and install from the directory but for some uknown reason I have the feeling that it was not installed.
Ok i can use some help here, how can I install this .deb?
Note that in the debian directory together with it are the 2 other files that usally go with the source pkgs.
Any help will be gratelly apreciated
Tassos
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry I am a little bit out of the subject but cybervet (Tassos) where are you from ???
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
-
Junior Member
registered user
elada-leladara
Greece
-
Senior Member
registered user
to check if package is installed to sth like:
dpkg -l | grep bcm
but you've already answered your question - you're installing a source deb package. It's in source because license probably prohibits it from being distributed in binary form..
There is a way to build a binary package from it but I can't think of it now..
try:
dpkg -b <package name>
or..
apt-get --build install <package name>
-
Junior Member
registered user
SUCCESS
And yes after 4 days and 3CDRs I managed to remaster the Knoppix and now it includes The broadcom driver.............Yes yEs yes.........
Isn't Linux great????
Thanks for everyone that took the time to help me out.
Tassos
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you just install the driver as you normally would, even if you're not using a motherboard that uses that NIC? I'd like to make my remaster capable of using the broadcom driver and nforce2 driver.
-
Junior Member
registered user
nic
Yes you can I made the remastering in a PIII using a realteac Nic and then I tested the cd in my AMD with the broadcom Nic.
Worked fine , autoconfig detect the driver and had the DHCP net up in notime.
Tassos
Similar Threads
-
By timepilot in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-19-2004, 07:46 PM
-
By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
-
By weedje in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 01:11 AM
-
By gecco in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:06 PM
-
By MeglaW in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 2 Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST2000NM0023 2TB 7200RPM SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD
$34.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Western Digital WD Black 500GB WD5000LPLX 7200RPM 2.5â SATA HDD Lot of 4 Tested
$64.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59