Synopsis:
1. Is it possible to set up a swapfile and a persistent home
directory on the same DOS partition that Knoppix resides on?
2. Is there a way to persistently store files (for example font files
used by TeXmacs) on the DOS partition?
3. Can I somehow save the line I type to boot Knoppix on my
boot floppy so I won't have to type it in every time?
More details:
I just inherited a very old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 560E (Pentium
166, 80 Mb RAM, 2 Gb hard drive, no cd-rom, Win 98, only one HD partition : "FAT32" according to Win 98). I copied over the Knoppix
file to C:\Knoppix\ via a direct cable connection, and I made a boot floppy. Knoppix boots after using the following line:
knoppix lang=us xserver=vesa desktop=twm mem=80M \
screen=800x600
(1) Knoppix realizes there is only < 80Mb RAM, and tries to make
a swap partition. But then it says:
mount : /dev/hda1 already mounted or /mnt/hda1 busy
Yes, I know about mount, /etc/fstab/, and others. It seems to me
that after knoppix boots from /dev/hda1, /dev/hda1 is somehow
pseudo-mounted so that mkdosswapfile fails with the same
message.
--------
I use the laptop almost exclusively to run TeXmacs, and then I
save the resulting .tm files onto a floppy to transport to another
computer.
(2) TeXmacs must generate some files for every font the first time
it uses the font. I would like to persistently save these files.
Yes, I have read the Persistent Home How-To.
Finally, I would like to do this totally within /dev/hda1 if possible.
I realize that I could repartition the disk, but I would also like to
continue using Win 98, and I would like to keep as much of the
hard drive space available to *both* OS's (if at all possible!)
Thanks for any suggestions!

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99