Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Permission troubles

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Permission troubles

    Hi;

    I can use xine as root or as knoppix, but not as myself ("steve").

    I added myself to the knoppix group via

    usermod steve -G knoppix

    Sure enough, in /etc/group steve is a member of knoppix.

    Any ideas on how I can enable things so I can use xine as 'steve'

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    In a console window as root adduser steve video to add yourself to obvisously the video group. Some other groups you may want to belong to: floppy, cdrom, audio and src. To check which groups you belong too in a console groups or id.

    note: You have to log out then back in for the changes to take effect.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    In a console window as root adduser steve video to add yourself to obvisously the video group. Some other groups you may want to belong to: floppy, cdrom, audio and src. To check which groups you belong too in a console groups or id.

    note: You have to log out then back in for the changes to take effect.
    I did all of those, plus knoppix. I ran groups to confirm I was in all of those groups. I rebooted my entire machine.

    I chmoded (as root) /cdrom, /dev/hdc, and /dev/dvd.

    I am still getting "can't find mrl" messages from xine if I am not logged in as root or knoppix

    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. new HD permission problems
    By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
  2. File Permission ?----------
    By dabuggin1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 08:06 PM
  3. webserver permission
    By wildcat in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 02:27 AM
  4. X permission problems
    By ocilent1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 12:53 PM
  5. permission denied
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99