Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Sony Vaio hangs - help!

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by bdeli
    You might be lucky if the BIOS will fix it, but from my experience and all research I made it seems that it is more of a hardware problem.
    Just an update - indeed I was lucky! I loaded the new BIOS, and the VAIO has been cookin' just fine ever since. So, those of you with VAIOs who are getting depressed reading this thread, be sure and check for updates and fixes from Sony before you assume the worst.

    I'm glad it turned out this way, because I think the VAIO (at least the one I have) is a really nice box, which fell victim to some haphazard patching from Redmond. (gotta' be a first time for everything, right?) I'll pass along what I read here, but based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend VAIO again.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    2

    The Vaio shutdown problem

    The Intel goof was easily programmed around several OSs ago. The false overtemperature interrupt is detected and ignored. Intel laid out the needed code in a white paper in June 2002. The document order number is 243887-041.

    There is a real problem with components on the CPU daughter board that get fried due to a faulty heat sink design. These cause the computer to shut down randomly, and in extreme cases not even boot up.

    The solution is the replacement of these Surface Mount Technology components, and unless you have the tools and training to do SMT rework, I do not recommend doing it yourself, because it requires considerably above average soldering technique and precision equipment. If you attempt it without solid prerequisites, you run a substantial risk of killing the processor board.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2
    vaioshutdown;

    Thanks for the info. I've got a VIAO 215 with a AMD 800 that keeps freezing up with win2000. I thought it was the HD for the longest time and switched it out but if left on for an extended period (over 24 hrs) it just freezes up and stops working.

    Can you recommend any place that will fix the problem? From what you've stated I don't think I want to touch that.

    I've also got a newer (within the last 6 months) VIAO and it works like a charm. It's using an AMD chip as well but running 1.8 gHz.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    2
    We receive between ten and fifty requests a week for advice on what to do with Vaio laptops of every stripe that overheat and shut down.

    We haven't analyzed the cause in every model, so as of now we only fix the Pentium II F-Series models.

    As far as recommending anyone to fix your machine, we must regretfully decline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL
    By Stllgrowin in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:20 AM
  2. Sony VAIO PCG-V505DX
    By adler in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
  3. No sound in KDE with Sony Vaio PCG-818
    By knytphal in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
  4. Sony Vaio PCG-GRT816M
    By abnormal in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 11:48 PM
  5. Knoppix on Sony Vaio
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99