Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to get a boot floppy

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    4

    How to get a boot floppy

    Sorry for the obvious question, but...
    I can't boot from a CD on my machine and I am trying to understand how to get a boot floppy but I can't.
    In the FAQ it says to use rewrite in the knoppix directory in the CD, but I can't open the CD on my machine.
    Any suggestions will be great,
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    When you look at the disc in windows what do you see? If you only see one big file then you have incorrectly burned the disc. You'll need to get the disc burned correctly first. If you have multiple files then just browse to Knoppix/mkfloppy and run the batch file.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    4
    I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
    Thanks,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by afried
    I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
    Thanks,
    Yes

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by afried
    I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
    Thanks,
    Here's how I burn in Linux(it never fails):

    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 Knoppix-6-6-03.iso

    Of course use your own cd burner speed and dev name and an actual .iso.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    4
    sorry, but i have some more obvious questions.
    So, I burned the cd in the right way and I can go to KNOPPIX, now I need to get the boot floppy. I opened my cd on my linux box and my question is how do i gt the floppy? which file do i have to copy to the floppy and exectly how to do it?
    Thank you very much.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Mount your cdrom, cd into KNOPPIX and do this:

    dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0

    If you need to format your floppy first:

    fdformat /dev/fd0H1440

    I was just looking at the docs and this isn't in there is it? Glad I wasn't an ass w/ RTFM!

    Actually tho- I see that you did and I would highly recommend getting yourself acquainted with Smart Boot Manger as the docs suggest. It's great to have on a machine that won't boot from cdrom. Just my .02.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    4
    thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.
    I did what you suggest and after adjusting my screen resoution it is up and running.
    I appriciate your help.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by afried
    thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.
    Well I am part of the aholes anonymous group here but somtimes I fall off the wagon. :P
    Glad you got it.

Similar Threads

  1. PMI boot with a floppy
    By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
  2. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  3. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99