-
How to get a boot floppy
Sorry for the obvious question, but...
I can't boot from a CD on my machine and I am trying to understand how to get a boot floppy but I can't.
In the FAQ it says to use rewrite in the knoppix directory in the CD, but I can't open the CD on my machine.
Any suggestions will be great,
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
When you look at the disc in windows what do you see? If you only see one big file then you have incorrectly burned the disc. You'll need to get the disc burned correctly first. If you have multiple files then just browse to Knoppix/mkfloppy and run the batch file.
-
I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
Thanks,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
afried
I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
Thanks,
Yes
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
afried
I use linux or mac os x and in both i see one big file as you said. I burned the CD so it is knoppix....iso , using ISO 9660. should I burn it as a disk image?
Thanks,
Here's how I burn in Linux(it never fails):
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 Knoppix-6-6-03.iso
Of course use your own cd burner speed and dev name and an actual .iso.
-
sorry, but i have some more obvious questions.
So, I burned the cd in the right way and I can go to KNOPPIX, now I need to get the boot floppy. I opened my cd on my linux box and my question is how do i gt the floppy? which file do i have to copy to the floppy and exectly how to do it?
Thank you very much.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Mount your cdrom, cd into KNOPPIX and do this:
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0
If you need to format your floppy first:
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
I was just looking at the docs and this isn't in there is it? Glad I wasn't an ass w/ RTFM! 
Actually tho- I see that you did and I would highly recommend getting yourself acquainted with Smart Boot Manger as the docs suggest. It's great to have on a machine that won't boot from cdrom. Just my .02.
-
thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.
I did what you suggest and after adjusting my screen resoution it is up and running.
I appriciate your help.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
afried
thanks a lot rickenbacherus, for not being an ass.
Well I am part of the aholes anonymous group here but somtimes I fall off the wagon. :P
Glad you got it.
Similar Threads
-
By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
-
By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99