Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Permissions for mounted drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    Permissions for mounted drives

    After doing hd-install, there is no longer any icon for windows partition-fine.
    I created a /win directory and chmod 755 for it. I vi'd /etc/fstab to read:
    /dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults 0 0
    When the system boots up and /dev/hda1 is mounted, group and other permissions revert to read only. When I umount the windows partition, the changes I made earlier to allow r-x for group and others is back!?! When I remount, the permissions change back to r-- for group and others! I've done this in vt and in kde gui and it still does the same things.
    I've modified the /etc/fstab every which way I can think of
    /dev/hda1 /win vfat auto,user,rw,exec 0 0 ---- no joy
    /dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults,rw,exec 0 0 ------no joy
    Is there something screwy w/ mount command that only allows mounted filesystems to be accessed by root only- even though root assigns permissions to other users? I'm pulling my hair out on this one. Otherwise I really love this distro.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    After some digging on this forum I found a solution:
    edit /etc/fstab to include the following
    /dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults,umask=0 0 0
    group and others now have rwx permissions.

    Thanks to newiaqua in Bulgaria for your earlier post.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    exactly what i was looking for....

    thx a lot! i was having problems with this one too!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Permissions
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
  2. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  3. only root-access to mounted drives
    By nightfrost in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
  4. Knoppix not showing several mounted drives
    By chapium in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
  5. HDD isn't mounted when using floppyconf :(
    By Plip in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99



HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$140.00