Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: damn small linux problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6

    damn small linux problem

    Everything seems to go according to plan, until I get past the initial stages and the OS should be starting up....at which point all I get is a black screen and no cd activity at all.

    All the detection stages seem fine too. I tried a myriad of "cheats" from the full knoppix version, different screen resolutions, etc......and....nothing.
    BTW: I have the latest version of Damn Small Linux.

    Anybody got any suggestions?

    Here's my hardware setup:

    P4 2.53 ghz
    ASUS P4PE motherboard
    512 mb RAM
    onboard SoundMax
    Radeon 7500 64mb video
    linksys nic
    SAMPO AlphaScan LC monitor
    Yamaha 2200E CD-R/RW

    All of the above hardware works fine on the full knoppix version. I'd LOVE to be able to carry this around with me in my pocket to show non-linux users how simple it can be....help me spread the gospel, folks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: damn small linux problem

    --What happens with boot: ' linux vga=normal '?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatso
    Everything seems to go according to plan, until I get past the initial stages and the OS should be starting up....at which point all I get is a black screen and no cd activity at all.

    All the detection stages seem fine too. I tried a myriad of "cheats" from the full knoppix version, different screen resolutions, etc......and....nothing.
    BTW: I have the latest version of Damn Small Linux.

    Anybody got any suggestions?

    Here's my hardware setup:

    P4 2.53 ghz
    ASUS P4PE motherboard
    512 mb RAM
    onboard SoundMax
    Radeon 7500 64mb video
    linksys nic
    SAMPO AlphaScan LC monitor
    Yamaha 2200E CD-R/RW

    All of the above hardware works fine on the full knoppix version. I'd LOVE to be able to carry this around with me in my pocket to show non-linux users how simple it can be....help me spread the gospel, folks!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6
    thanks for your reply!

    I tried your suggestion, and got the same result.

    btw: typing "linux vga=normal" gives the message "Cannot find kernel"
    I have to use "knoppix vga=normal"

    I suspect I'm doomed due to a lack of driver support for my video...it is a "Damn small linux", after all. Can't expect mega drivers in something so scaled-down.

    ...unless you have other ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1
    I have EXACTLY the same problem, I think it's something to so with the P4PE as I too have one.

    Does it say something about not being able to setup PCI devices due to conflicts right at the start of bootup? Mine does.

    I'll get back to you if I find a way of fixing it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Colsey2001
    Does it say something about not being able to setup PCI devices due to conflicts right at the start of bootup? Mine does.

    I'll get back to you if I find a way of fixing it.
    Yup...I get that PCI conflict message too.
    Likewise...if I find a solution, I'll let ya know.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Try ' knoppix vga=normal pci=biosirq '.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colsey2001
    I have EXACTLY the same problem, I think it's something to so with the P4PE as I too have one.

    Does it say something about not being able to setup PCI devices due to conflicts right at the start of bootup? Mine does.

    I'll get back to you if I find a way of fixing it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17
    It may also be due to the kernel version used in the ISO. The DSL team recently rolled back their kernel version to keep up with older hardware. This also means that newer hardware support vanished (with the exception of some extension applications). The last version that supported the newer hardware was DSL 2.1b, which used the 2.4.31 kernel. Whereas the current release uses the 2.4.26 kernel.

Similar Threads

  1. Nvidia drivers on damn small linux
    By yuhnstuff in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
  2. Damn Small Linux remastering problems
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:24 AM
  3. Damn Small Linux Refresh Rate
    By arbs22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 04:39 AM
  4. Remasting from damn small linux
    By firepunk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 04:40 AM
  5. Damn Small linux and RDesktop???
    By Leg0z in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00