-
Unable to connect my cable modem
Ok, my Knoppix is able to detect my modem and even connect me to the Internet when it is launched from the CD.
But, when I install it on my HD, the distro detects the cabel modem (including the model name, number and manufacturer) but fails to connect me.
Any suggestions?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Unable to connect my cable modem

Originally Posted by
rajivvyas
Ok, my Knoppix is able to detect my modem and even connect me to the Internet when it is launched from the CD.
But, when I install it on my HD, the distro detects the cabel modem (including the model name, number and manufacturer) but fails to connect me.
Any suggestions?
Edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and make sure the DHCP is enabled. example file:
Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Debian (knoppix) does not enable DHCP by default you have to turn it on yourself. When you have the file in the proper format /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network with the new settings. If you want to do it the easy way netcardconfig and accept the use DHCP option. All this as root in a console window.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Unable to connect my cable modem

Originally Posted by
Stephen
Debian (knoppix) does not enable DHCP by default you have to turn it on yourself.
Well when I've done hdinstalls and selected DHCP as one of the options it's always been turned on by default. I haven't had to edit /etc/network/interfaces. I think this used to not be the case, but AFAIK it's been fixed on more recent releases.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Unable to connect my cable modem

Originally Posted by
aay
Well when I've done hdinstalls and selected DHCP as one of the options it's always been turned on by default. I haven't had to edit /etc/network/interfaces. I think this used to not be the case, but AFAIK it's been fixed on more recent releases.
I read it a post by Klaus on the developers list when I had the problem once, did not know it had been fixed one less annoyance in the install now anyway.
Similar Threads
-
By lostinspace in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
-
By apessos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:12 AM
-
By raven in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-20-2004, 01:00 PM
-
By ePro in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
-
By cycopy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 04:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99