lsusb finds the NIC but usbmodules cannot find a proper module for this device.
I know that the atmelwlan driver creates a module by the name of usbvnet or usbvnetr depending on the rev of your device (a and b respectively) and you can find it in /usr/src/linux/modules/usb/

My problem is that when i try to insmod usbvnetr through knoppix it tells me that the driver is for kernel version 2.4.20 and that my kernel version is 2.4.20-xfs

I have also tried modconf to try and load the module with no success

Now i have been trying to see about changing that whole xfs thing without installing the other kernel itself. I have tried going to /usr/src/linux and changing the Makefile but that is fruitless because the makefile does not include the xfs stuff that i thought it would. I have tried searching for it elsewhere in /usr/src/ but have had no luck. In other words i am not too sure how to go about changing the kernel version so that the usbvnetr module will insmod.

So my quest at the moment is to change my linux kernel version and god knows how i will do that.