Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Netgear MA101 USB WLAN device

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14
    If you run it from the cd then you would have to load up and install the atmel driver using your favorite method (ie. mounting hd, cdrom, floppy, etc..) The atmel driver should install onto your ram disk (directory should be similar) that knoppix uses. Hopefully you have enough ram to do so and set up the modules that way. The problem with this method is that you will always have to include a copy of the atmel driver and set it up every time that you run knoppix. I am hoping that one of these days that knoppix will integrate this driver into its autodetect scheme of things.

    Until then good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12
    My MA101 is Rev.B

    I've downloaded and installed the Atmel driver (I had to copy and re-symlink /etc, /lib and /bin to make it compile and install) without any complains. BUT "modprobe usbvnetr" gives error messages:
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/usbvnetr.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/usbvnetr.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/usbvnetr.o: insmod usbvnetr failed
    And if I "plug-in" the NIC then dmesg says
    Code:
    hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x864/0x4102) is not claimed by any active driver.
    Looks like it is quite the same problem that you do experience.

    Do I have to install the kernel sources to make the driver work? I don't think that I have the patience to make apt-get run. I am wondering why the brand-new-knoppix-built-in-atmel-driver does not claim to support my NIC.

    All this testing was done in a VMWare virtual machine. Maybe that is a problem, tomorrow I will try to do this on a real PC, now I am tired and I'm going to bed.

    EDIT: that was the driver version atmelwlandriver-ss-20030613.tar.gz. today I have tried the 2.1.2.2 and it says "blabla usbvnetr was compiled for 2.4.20" which, I think, the problem is. I will see whether I will be able to install the 2.4.21-xfs sources.

    Maybe, non-patched sources will work too.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14
    EDIT: that was the driver version atmelwlandriver-ss-20030613.tar.gz. today I have tried the 2.1.2.2 and it says "blabla usbvnetr was compiled for 2.4.20" which, I think, the problem is. I will see whether I will be able to install the 2.4.21-xfs sources.
    Yeah, i have been hunting for those kernel sources myself. However today a thought occuered to me. The linux cd has all the source so i think that (after checking around a bit) that the atmelwlandriver file just needs to be installed in the same directory tree where the folder for the knoppix source code is. I think that is usr/src/ so i will try that out later on and let you know how it went.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14
    Ok i tried that and it still gave me the same crap. So i have paid a visit to the debian site and i am thinking about recompiling my kernel for the very first time. Hell, the ink on my newbie liscence isnt even dry yet. I tried something else out last night and it actually seemed like it installed correctly and everything. Has anyone tried out the berlios driver yet?

    From what i can tell its working i just need to figure out how it can include the version file from the correct path. Other than that though its not that hard to set up and seems to install fine. I am going to try to install the brand new knoppix release and try it all out then. I have screwed around with so many files and i have no idea (even though i commented wisely within) how many or which of them all i edited for the sourceforge atmel driver. I am unsure wether or not to use the brand new release though bc i dont know if the new kernel version is supported or not. Oh well i will give it a whirl and if it has a harder time on the newer version then i will use my older version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. netgear wlan card
    By fabian_wuertz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 12:01 PM
  2. Netgear MA 101 Wireless Lan USB Device supported but ...
    By globus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 08:14 PM
  3. Started to have a go with NetGear MA101
    By philb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:41 PM
  4. NetGear MA101 doesn't work
    By philb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 12:59 AM
  5. probelms with netgear ma101 wireless usb-adapter
    By ballermann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99