Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Motherboard does not post...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24

    Motherboard does not post...

    I changed the CPU fan on my athelon XP 2000, now my mobo doesint post! Seems like the CPU is fine coz each time I power on the heatsink gets warm and the CPU fan is spinning. The motherboard seems to be healthy coz all the LEDs light up and my PCI cards seem to be getting power (I know this coz the fan on my radeon is working) The speaker makes a click noise, but does not beep.

    I tried unplugging everything leaving the RAM, CPU on it, still no beeps. even took it out of the case. Still no luck.... I even tried reseating the RAM and the CPU still same result. I also disconnected the BIOS battery and put it back in after 3 -5 mts .. no luck...

    Did I fry something?? Is there a way to verify if my mobo and CPu are still healthy?

    Any suggestions??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You'd need to leave the CMOS battery out a little longer usually to reset the CMOS. There might be a jumper on your mobo to reset the CMOS and NVRAM with which would be much faster than removing the battery and waiting. Are you sure you didn't accidentally knock a power connector off the mobo when you were inside the case? Checked all of your connections?

    If none of the above works remove everything you can from your box (sound, NIC, etc.)and try to run with minimal hardware installed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    I am not sure if resetting the BIOS will do any good, anyways I am desprate and so will try that.

    I already tried a minmum boot, with CPU and RAM only, but no luck...

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    10
    Try pulling out the RAM and if you get beeps, more than likely your system is still alive.

    L J

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12

    Re: Motherboard does not post...

    A few motherboards have an interlock between the CPU HS/F riser and the fan itself so that if the fan stops working, the motherboard shuts down before the CPU is fried. Perhaps yours is one of those motherboards and PERHAPS your new CPU fan is connected to a different header, or is not compatible with this scheme. As a way to rule this out, temporarily reinstall the old HS/F in the old place and see if it boots that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by manjo
    I changed the CPU fan on my athelon XP 2000, now my mobo doesint post! Seems like the CPU is fine coz each time I power on the heatsink gets warm and the CPU fan is spinning. The motherboard seems to be healthy coz all the LEDs light up and my PCI cards seem to be getting power (I know this coz the fan on my radeon is working) The speaker makes a click noise, but does not beep.

    I tried unplugging everything leaving the RAM, CPU on it, still no beeps. even took it out of the case. Still no luck.... I even tried reseating the RAM and the CPU still same result. I also disconnected the BIOS battery and put it back in after 3 -5 mts .. no luck...

    Did I fry something?? Is there a way to verify if my mobo and CPu are still healthy?

    Any suggestions??

Similar Threads

  1. IBM Motherboard Problem
    By bd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
  2. Knoppix doesn't like my new motherboard
    By tuxtaxdani in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:01 PM
  3. Can Knoppix run on ECS motherboard?
    By rubensava in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:29 AM
  4. Change of Motherboard
    By Doc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:50 AM
  5. Viewing motherboard temperatures
    By pummer in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage computer keyboard by Northgate Computer Systems picture

Vintage computer keyboard by Northgate Computer Systems

$249.95



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99



Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer picture

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer

$200.00



HP Hewlett Packard Deskjet 310 With Accessories Vintage EXCELLENT Condition picture

HP Hewlett Packard Deskjet 310 With Accessories Vintage EXCELLENT Condition

$164.99



Various vintage computer disks. picture

Various vintage computer disks.

$50.00



2 x Vintage Gateway 2000 Keyboards 1995 PS/2 Both TESTED and WORKING GREAT picture

2 x Vintage Gateway 2000 Keyboards 1995 PS/2 Both TESTED and WORKING GREAT

$38.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc picture

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc

$86.99