-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
It says-
Can't sudo, must be setuid root.
But I am root and I'm using su knoppix. I thought I could set a root passwd as you normally would and so I used passwd root. Then this trouble started and I can't become knoppix anymore. What should I do to fix it?
Not sure what you mean by "can't become Knoppix anymore" Have you done a hard drive install? If so log in as root, open a term and do this:
adduser <someusername>
And just enter BillyJimJoeBob or whatever username you want. Follow along and you'll have a username you want instead of Knoppix. Then as root you'll need to add your new username to /etc/sudoers and the new user will be able to do thigs as root. Here is my /etc/sudoers file:
Code:
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
# Host alias specification
# User alias specification
# Cmnd alias specification
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
glenn ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
This way I can just use sudo and not have to enter a password each time.
If you want to change root password then log in as root and run passwd. It simplifies things.
HTH (If I've totally misunderstood you post back).
Similar Threads
-
By phdzg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
-
By rahtz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
-
By Aleu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By purplehaze in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 06:54 PM
-
By VeeDubb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$239.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99