Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.

    It says-

    Sorry, sudo must be setuid root.

    But I am root and I'm using su knoppix. I thought I could set a root passwd as you normally would and so I used passwd root. Then this trouble started and I can't become knoppix anymore. What should I do to fix it?

    Should I maybe replace /etc passwd passwd~ shadow.passwd and sudoers with the original files from the cd? Any other files that might have been changed when I ran passwd root?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.

    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    It says-

    Can't sudo, must be setuid root.

    But I am root and I'm using su knoppix. I thought I could set a root passwd as you normally would and so I used passwd root. Then this trouble started and I can't become knoppix anymore. What should I do to fix it?
    Not sure what you mean by "can't become Knoppix anymore" Have you done a hard drive install? If so log in as root, open a term and do this:

    adduser <someusername>

    And just enter BillyJimJoeBob or whatever username you want. Follow along and you'll have a username you want instead of Knoppix. Then as root you'll need to add your new username to /etc/sudoers and the new user will be able to do thigs as root. Here is my /etc/sudoers file:

    Code:
    # sudoers file.
    #
    # This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
    #
    # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
    #
    
    # Host alias specification
    
    # User alias specification
    
    # Cmnd alias specification
    
    # User privilege specification
    root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
    
    glenn	ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
    This way I can just use sudo and not have to enter a password each time.

    If you want to change root password then log in as root and run passwd. It simplifies things.

    HTH (If I've totally misunderstood you post back).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I've decompressed the files on the CD and am making changes to them for a remastered version, not the same as a HDD install. I've chrooted into the decompressed file system and installed/removed a lot of software, and am busy making changes to the appearance of the window managers. I thought I could set the root password with the passwd command. It seems instead that doing so has not set the password, and has only succeeded in making it impossible to su knoppix.

    Also, when I logout of KDE, it says "<???> logging out". I've used the login and whoami commands to make sure that I am indeed root. My passwd and sudoers files look fine to me but I'm going to try to copy the original files over them anyway when I get home tonight to see if it fixes the problem. I guess I could make a new user and remove knoppix, but somehow I think that might break a lot of the scripts that make knoppix work from a CD.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    if you are root, passwd can take a user paramater so just run

    passwd knoppix

    as root to set knoppix user's password, or just

    passwd

    to set the root password

Similar Threads

  1. Editing System files as 'root'
    By phdzg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
  2. chrooted environment, using web services
    By rahtz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
  3. How to run second KDE being chrooted?
    By Aleu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
  4. how do I log in as root? (to enable me to edit system files)
    By purplehaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 06:54 PM
  5. Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99