-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
It says-
Can't sudo, must be setuid root.
But I am root and I'm using su knoppix. I thought I could set a root passwd as you normally would and so I used passwd root. Then this trouble started and I can't become knoppix anymore. What should I do to fix it?
Not sure what you mean by "can't become Knoppix anymore" Have you done a hard drive install? If so log in as root, open a term and do this:
adduser <someusername>
And just enter BillyJimJoeBob or whatever username you want. Follow along and you'll have a username you want instead of Knoppix. Then as root you'll need to add your new username to /etc/sudoers and the new user will be able to do thigs as root. Here is my /etc/sudoers file:
Code:
# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
# Host alias specification
# User alias specification
# Cmnd alias specification
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
glenn ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
This way I can just use sudo and not have to enter a password each time.
If you want to change root password then log in as root and run passwd. It simplifies things.
HTH (If I've totally misunderstood you post back).
Similar Threads
-
By phdzg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
-
By rahtz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
-
By Aleu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By purplehaze in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 06:54 PM
-
By VeeDubb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*
$50.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables
$74.99

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

1991 Vintage Apple Macintosh Mac System Disks 914-0363-B Install Tidbits 7.0.1
$19.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00