Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix wont boot - Kernel Freezes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix wont boot - Kernel Freezes

    Hi,
    I am able to boot to the cd and try several options but no matter what I try after it uncompresses the kernel it freezes. Here are options of have gone through. knoppx cdtest, knoppix lang=us, failsafe. all I can seem to get out of it is uncompressing kernel. Anyone have any clues on what to try? here are my system stats if that helps.

    Athlon XP 2400+
    512 MEG DDR PC 2100

    and VIA based chipset.


    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4
    I wanted to add I di try reburning the CD severals time and redownloading several times. I tried the 6-06 and the 5-20 3.2 releases. Both did the same thing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4
    No one has responded yet *sigh* . I wanted to post I did some more research. I tried the cd I made on two other computers and it worked. My case and motherboard is Shuttle Sk41G. I did some reasearch and all the post i found about the Shuttle SK41G and user using it seems that it worked for them apparently. Any one have a clue why I just get a black screen and it never gets past uncompressing the kernel?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by redsmoke
    No one has responded yet *sigh* . I wanted to post I did some more research. I tried the cd I made on two other computers and it worked. My case and motherboard is Shuttle Sk41G. I did some reasearch and all the post i found about the Shuttle SK41G and user using it seems that it worked for them apparently. Any one have a clue why I just get a black screen and it never gets past uncompressing the kernel?
    Have you tried knoppix noddc to stop detection of the monitor this causes the black screen sometimes.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    I'm a Knoppix and Linux newbie, but you may also try xmode=nv and see if that helps. Do you even get to prompt?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    I have the same problem.

    Ok, I just received my copy of Knoppix 3.2 June 6 Edition. I tried booting but it's SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Then it detects my processor as AMD 1.15GHz. It's suppose to be AMD Athlon XP 1800+. Anyways it gives me these weird errors saying something like, "Cloop: Read Error at pos 725014204 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix". There are more errors, but too much to type. Anyways, it booted to X but it hangs there. So, I thought it would be the CD; I tried burning this CD and see if it works, but it gives me errors while burning. I think it has unreadable sectors?

    I have an older version of Knoppix 3.2 and that works fine. Except I couldn't do a harddrive install because he CD is scratched badly.

    Anyways, do you know anything about this? I've been waiting to try this for a very long time.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    Joninator---again I'm only a Linux newbie but your problem sounds as though it is a cd problem, especially the read errors. Now I'm not sure on the processor recognition but you may try some of the cheatcodes that disable certain hardware detections to get it to boot all the way into X. Its been my experience with most OS's from MS to Novell and now even some with Knoppix that more often than not your particular hardware causes a conflict somewhere, even if it may appear to be software related. I always suspect hardware problems first when troubleshooting.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Joninator
    I have the same problem.

    Ok, I just received my copy of Knoppix 3.2 June 6 Edition. I tried booting but it's SLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Then it detects my processor as AMD 1.15GHz. It's suppose to be AMD Athlon XP 1800+. Anyways it gives me these weird errors saying something like, "Cloop: Read Error at pos 725014204 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix". There are more errors, but too much to type. Anyways, it booted to X but it hangs there. So, I thought it would be the CD; I tried burning this CD and see if it works, but it gives me errors while burning. I think it has unreadable sectors?

    I have an older version of Knoppix 3.2 and that works fine. Except I couldn't do a harddrive install because he CD is scratched badly.

    Anyways, do you know anything about this? I've been waiting to try this for a very long time.
    Sounds like you have a bad CD try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt you may also want to try the cheat code nosmp some AMD's seem to have trouble being detected as dual processor setups.

Similar Threads

  1. PC wont boot Knoppix
    By Weetabix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
  2. Knoppix wont boot
    By Bklynjava in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
  3. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. Knoppix wont even boot
    By simmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
  5. Knoppix CD wont complete boot up
    By Wayne W in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00