Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Sound only working for root

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Sound only working for root

    Hi,

    I have installed Knoppix on my Toshiba laptop. This has an onboard soundchip which is recognised; this is some output from 'lspci -v':

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
    I/O ports at cdc0 [size=64]

    The strange thing is that the sound only works when I login as root. When logged in on my user-account the silence is deafening

    Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

    Oh, when I ran 'sndconfig' the chip was detected also. But then I got a message like 'error writing config file'. Sadly it did not say which error or which file. I'm pretty sure I ran this only from my user-account. Could that have anything to do with it?

    TIA

    - - Edwin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Try adding yourself to the audio group.

    vim /etc/group

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Try adding yourself to the audio group.

    vim /etc/group
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried it, but allas, it does not work. In fact now I am a member of the audio group and root is not (and has never been ). But root has sound and I still have silence.

    Regards,

    - - Edwin

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Sound only working for root

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    Hi,

    I have installed Knoppix on my Toshiba laptop. This has an onboard soundchip which is recognised; this is some output from 'lspci -v':

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
    I/O ports at cdc0 [size=64]

    The strange thing is that the sound only works when I login as root. When logged in on my user-account the silence is deafening

    Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

    Oh, when I ran 'sndconfig' the chip was detected also. But then I got a message like 'error writing config file'. Sadly it did not say which error or which file. I'm pretty sure I ran this only from my user-account. Could that have anything to do with it?

    TIA

    - - Edwin
    As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to create the devices for the ALSA sound system. When you re-boot the sound levels will be lost edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the mixer levels automatically set this also as root. You may also want to check this thread to get the most out of the sound system.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Sound only working for root

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen

    As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to create the devices for the ALSA sound system. When you re-boot the sound levels will be lost edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the mixer levels automatically set this also as root. You may also want to check this thread to get the most out of the sound system.
    Well, my install did not have alsa, so I installed it but then there was no alsa-autoconfig. I wrestled with this for a few hours and then I saw the light:

    Start -> Control Center -> Sound and Multimedia. Enabled 'Start aRts soundserver at startup' and 'Run soundserver with realtime priority'. That did the trick; problem is solved.

    Thanks to all who responded,

    - - Edwin

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 root login not working
    By zebesianpirate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 02:46 AM
  2. Still no sound as user...only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:36 AM
  3. Root password not working in Knoppix
    By Cyberian LNX in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 02:07 PM
  4. Trying to make a root crontab, not working....
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$218.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6

Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$245.00