-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Sound only working for root

Originally Posted by
Edwin
Hi,
I have installed Knoppix on my Toshiba laptop. This has an onboard soundchip which is recognised; this is some output from 'lspci -v':
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at ce00 [size=256]
I/O ports at cdc0 [size=64]
The strange thing is that the sound only works when I login as root. When logged in on my user-account the silence is deafening
Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?
Oh, when I ran 'sndconfig' the chip was detected also. But then I got a message like 'error writing config file'. Sadly it did not say which error or which file. I'm pretty sure I ran this only from my user-account. Could that have anything to do with it?
TIA
- - Edwin
As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to create the devices for the ALSA sound system. When you re-boot the sound levels will be lost edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to have the mixer levels automatically set this also as root. You may also want to check this thread to get the most out of the sound system.
Similar Threads
-
By zebesianpirate in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 02:46 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:36 AM
-
By Cyberian LNX in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 02:07 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz
$475.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$400.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00