Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to compile a .deb from source tar.gz?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12

    How to compile a .deb from source tar.gz?

    I frequently use several programs that are not available as .debs (I used Red Hat before Knoppix.) I am used to using RPM to compile from a tar.gz; how is this done with dpkg?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    I don't know about tar.gz files, but for a straight *.rpm file typing 'rpm -i <filename>' in a root console worked for me. Try it with the tar.gz, if it doesn't work gunzip and untar it first.

    HTH

    - - Edwin

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use programs that are neither available as .debs or rpms. In my old Red Hat, I simply compiled these programs under RPM with -ta option and got a RPM that I could install with rpm -i progname.

    How do I compile a source tarball under Knoppix so I end up with a .deb which I can install so it is seen by the database?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by annamerikin
    I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use programs that are neither available as .debs or rpms. In my old Red Hat, I simply compiled these programs under RPM with -ta option and got a RPM that I could install with rpm -i progname.

    How do I compile a source tarball under Knoppix so I end up with a .deb which I can install so it is seen by the database?
    Read your post earlier today and read this a few minutes ago and thought it might be just what you are looking for checkinstall will make a debian package and install it using dpkg.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    Did some reading of the man pages for dpkg and dpkg-deb. It appears that "dpkg-deb -b" will do what I want. Except for the control files, which are not explained in the man pages. So:

    Where can I learn about the internals of the dpkg and dpkg-deb systems -- specifically how to build a control tree?

    BTW, thanks for the link to checkinstall. I tried it some time ago for help in compiling under rpm, but it installed the packages it built with the --force --nodeps option (equivalent to deb -force -nodepends) which almost guaranteed no installation information output and a broken installation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by annamerikin
    I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use programs that are neither available as .debs or rpms. In my old Red Hat, I simply compiled these programs under RPM with -ta option and got a RPM that I could install with rpm -i progname.

    How do I compile a source tarball under Knoppix so I end up with a .deb which I can install so it is seen by the database?
    Read your post earlier today and read this a few minutes ago and thought it might be just what you are looking for checkinstall will make a debian package and install it using dpkg.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by annamerikin

    Where can I learn about the internals of the dpkg and dpkg-deb systems -- specifically how to build a control tree?
    Ah I see you are looking for some light reading I would suggest going to the source so to speak the basic Debian package management system FAQ there's more than enough here links to get you started. Also the Debian docs page and the lists page the Debian user list is a great source of information although it is a high volume list (250-400 e-mails a day) but you can read it in a news reader if you do not want that many e-mails.

    HTH

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    try "apt-get install alien", followed by "man alien"...... think this will do what you are looking to do.

    Oh, forgive me, can't remember if it comes with Knoppix, if it does forget the first part :P

Similar Threads

  1. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. How to compile
    By gamezealot in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:54 PM
  3. Where is kernel 2.6 source to compile Nvidia drivers?
    By pepe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
  4. Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile
    By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
  5. custom kernel, debian source vs kernel.org source
    By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02) picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02)

$9.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



SFP+ 10G BiDi WDM module 10 km 20 km 40 km 60 km 80km compatible Mikrotik LOT SM picture

SFP+ 10G BiDi WDM module 10 km 20 km 40 km 60 km 80km compatible Mikrotik LOT SM

$40.00