-
Help me plz, I am an uber noob
Hey guys a while ago I switched my server over to linux and I wasn't really sure if I would like it or not, anyway I only did an 9 gb partition on it and I let my cs server run, it has been like a few months now and the thing ran out of space, I spent hours but was unable to start up x-windows, it always went to failsafe and I don't know how to get those files into my dell-computer. So last night I downloaded knoppix, put it in the cd drive and boom I was in, but I am always logged under knoppix. I know my root account password, infact there is no password for root, and I need to login as root so I can get my psychostats, logfiles, and a bunch of other things from my server like the script someone gave me so it restarts every 12 hours and all that crap, I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me how I can get access to these files, I tried to logout in KDE and that stopped the entire knoppix session and I tried the command login but it says it must be done at sh or whatever so I type in sh then login and I get the same message, thanks for your help
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention like every 5 minutes or 10 minutes the screen goes blank when running knoppix and I have to restart the computer.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have a look at the documentation here
-
I would much rather have seen
"Could someone please help, I am new to linux"
than
"Help me plz, I am an uber noob"
I'm getting sick of this "noob" stuff, and bad spelling.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's starting to tick me off.
-
sorry but I still don't understand I read all these faqs and stuff. I do not want to back up the entire disk on the other computer because I don't have 9 gb free. What I need to do is get access to the root folder and the /halflife/ folder for which I need to be logged in as root. I already had a previous installation of mandrake, can someone point me or tell me step by step instructions on how to do it, thanks a lot. So far the stuff I read isn't making much sense.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Q: I need to get into my Debian system to update some packages as my system is unable to boot! How do I do that?
A: Boot with the Knoppix CD and mount that partition using the Knoppix root shell. For example:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
chroot /mnt/hda1
Does this not apply to your situation? OK so you don't have Debian- it's MDK, still it's the same.
-
Boot to the desktop, then I think you have to click on the partitions on the desktop first so they will become mounted. Once you can see the contents of the partition, you can get to a root shell by hitting (ctrl+alt+F2) this will drop you to a shell as root where you should be able to get to the data under /mnt/hda<1,2,3,etc>
Hope this helps.
-
when I did the ctrl alt f2 the whole window becomes a root shell, and the problem is I don't know what to do with it. I only know how to use linux in the gui form. What I want to do is copy /halflife/cstrike/logs to my machine named DELL-COMPUTER at 192.168.1.100 in its c:/backuphlserver and then I want to copy /root/psychostats1.9.1 to c:/backupPS is there anyway I can get access to these root directories through the gui, please understand I am new to this and I am really sorry I'm so stupid but linux is new for me, thanks for your time.
Similar Threads
-
By cannonfodder in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 04:49 AM
-
By shiv_379 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 09:48 PM
-
By sas13 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 01:53 PM
-
By Marduk in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

4 X SKHynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC RDIMM HMA84GR7JJR4N-WM 840758-091U
$780.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$1450.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80