Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to delete files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    4

    How to delete files

    On another thread in this forum I talked about getting access to one of my linux hard drives, well that option failed and I am not smart enough to really login as root and backup through the gui so after loooking in my HD I saw that I have a lot of files I can delete. So i tried to delete them and move them to the trash but I could do neither. I have read access to both of these files, but I think the owner is root, that is who I downloaded them with. Anyway my question is how do I delete files in knoppix, in fact if you know how to delete files from failsafe that would be even better, thanks a lot, and the files I want to delete are :
    /halflife/hlds_l_3110_full.bin
    /halflife/cstrike_full.tar.gz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to delete files

    --News flash: for system administration, you have to be root.

    --I use ' mc ' pretty much exclusively for deleting files. "Tag" files/directories using Insert key, F8 to delete.

    --What problems are you having accessing drives? Common problems are no r/w access to NTFS, (blame MS) and drives being mounted read-only by default from CD.

    Quote Originally Posted by microsoft_sucks
    On another thread in this forum I talked about getting access to one of my linux hard drives, well that option failed and I am not smart enough to really login as root and backup through the gui so after loooking in my HD I saw that I have a lot of files I can delete. So i tried to delete them and move them to the trash but I could do neither. I have read access to both of these files, but I think the owner is root, that is who I downloaded them with. Anyway my question is how do I delete files in knoppix, in fact if you know how to delete files from failsafe that would be even better, thanks a lot, and the files I want to delete are :
    /halflife/hlds_l_3110_full.bin
    /halflife/cstrike_full.tar.gz

Similar Threads

  1. Recovery from hacker attack--is it safe to delete files?
    By superba in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM
  2. What files can I safely delete from My HD
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
  3. How do you delete files in knoppix
    By Accumet8000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 01:41 AM
  4. Delete files from NTFS drive
    By hebo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. Accessing Windows Files to delete them. Help
    By anton26 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS picture

New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS

$3890.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



DELL R740 8LFF Server 2x Gold 6152 2.1GHz =44 Cores H740p 4xRJ45 picture

DELL R740 8LFF Server 2x Gold 6152 2.1GHz =44 Cores H740p 4xRJ45

$895.00