Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: making a new CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    10

    making a new CD

    My *other* OS is Windows 2000. I used WinRAR to extract all the files in the knoppix ISO into a folder on my hard-drive, as far as I can tell by viewing the folder with the files and comparing it to a burnt Knoppix CD there is no difference in the files.

    So, I used Nero to burn the folder with all the files onto a CD, and once again with a comparison I see no major differences. The only difference I have seen so far is that the proper CD has a volume label of "Knoppix", and the improperly burn CD has a volume label of simply "new"(wich I think is actually empty).

    The proper CD works without any trouble. However, for the improper CD, I made a boot floppy(using mkfloppy.bat, which was in the folder on my hard-drive that came from the ISO) and I currently believe I'm running off the "improper" CD(need to get a sharpie to label my CDs....).

    What should I try to be able to boot off the "Improper" CD without using a boot disk(assuming there is any *easy* way)?

    TIA, L J

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: making a new CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders

    So, I used Nero to burn the folder with all the files onto a CD,
    What should I try to be able to boot off the "Improper" CD without using a boot disk(assuming there is any *easy* way)?

    TIA, L J
    You must use Nero to burn de ISO image, no a folder with all the files.
    The ISO has all the files and the bootable part of the CD. The folder no.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    10
    Is there is a file on the CD that makes it bootable? If there should be, I have compared the disk sizes, the "improper" disk is actually about 5KB larger but otherwise, every folder, every file is *identical*(by identical I mean same name, same same syze in bytes).

    So *what* is the bootable part of the CD?

    During the Nero burn, the only thing that stuck out was that it originally said in order to fit everything on the CD, the CD would have to be finallized, could this have anything to do with the CD not working.

    L J

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    ...there is not a file, believe me...
    I have read your post and your are not the first person asking this question.
    The bootable part of a CD is not a file, it is record in the cd but not a file.
    You must use Nero to burn an ISO image.
    Nero has facilities to add a boot record if you dont have an ISO image but this is another story.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    10
    So, it is possible to make the CD without using the ISO, which means that it would be a lot easier to edit the CD.

    Can you give me any info about makeing the boot record?

    Thanks, L J

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    10
    I have success!!

    To be honest, I'm not 100% certain what exactly I did, but I'll try to summarize.

    1) I used WinRAR to "extract" the files from the Knoppixs ISO and put these in a folder labeled "knoppix-exp"(exp for expanded).

    2)I ran mkfloppy.bat from "c:\knoppix-exp\knoppix"(or the knoppix sub-folder on the CD)

    3)I opened Nero and chose to make a new CD. I ignored the wizard, and chose to make a bootable CD-ROM and it asked for an example(well, I don't remember exactly what it asked for, will have to edit this later if anyone is really interested) and used the floppy for the example.

    I have an "improper" CD made proper.

    L J

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    ok.
    Also you may try winiso, and not winrar.
    Winiso will let you add or deleting files witout the need of extracting then before. To make bootable Cd is easier with winiso. Win ISO replaces winrar, nor Nero

Similar Threads

  1. Just making sure
    By Jessse5935 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
  2. Making the connection
    By Tetsuo in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 11:06 AM
  3. Making an ISO for CD and DVD
    By sbassi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
  4. making a bootdisk
    By marcelwalus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM
  5. deb making
    By _r00t- in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99