Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting from floppy after Hdd install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1

    Booting from floppy after Hdd install

    I'm a reasonably experienced windows user but I want to start using linux, knoppix was the best and easiet version I've come across.

    I have a windows partition on my first drive.
    I decided to install knoppix on my second hdd.
    All went well and eventually I was asked to create a boot floppy, I did and all seemed ok. I rebooted the system and ended up in windows, LILO must have been written to the mbr on the second drive and not the first and the floppy did not allow me to boot as it was corrupt.

    I would like to be able to boot from a floppy without going into the bios to set the boot options every time I want linux.

    Can I boot to my installation using a floppy created from the tools on the knoppix CD and specifing a few commands or do I have to boot knoppix up from the knoppix CD and create a new boot floppy using LILO?
    After a bad experience installing Mandrake I am reluctant to mess with the mbr on the first drive, If I could create a boot CD or Floppy it would make things much easier

    As I'm very new to linux I would appreciate some help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Just a few pointers:

    It's generally best to put Lilo on the mbr of the first hard drive (hda). Really, the only chances of corruption are of Windows overwriting the mbr. Lilo cannot boot from the second mbr unless you switch your bios to boot from that drive (an option not available on all bioses).

    For a boot floppy to work it generally needs to be fully formatted (rather than a quick format).

    An alternative would be to switch drives (so that Linux is on hda) and use Grub (apt-get install will find it). Grub can convince Windoze that it is on the first hard drive. Consequently, you have a boot loader which Windoze cannot destroy, and no floppy to loose. You can -- indeed, should -- write Grub to a boot floppy until you're absolutely happy that it works.

    Grub's syntax is pretty free form and I'm currently using Lilo, but a search for Grub here (or boot floppy) should find something and, of course, there are the HOWTO's.

    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB
    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO
    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/LILO
    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/Linux+Win95
    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/Linux+WinNT

    Hope that helps a little: it's not meant to read as RTFM!

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from floppy...
    By Robinhood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 12:05 AM
  2. Booting from USB Device Using Floppy?
    By victorhooi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
  3. Booting Knoppix HD install on USB hd with no floppy?
    By visage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 01:58 PM
  4. booting from a laptop with NO cd but it does have a floppy
    By MikeyMustang in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 03:47 PM
  5. hdinstalled booting off floppy
    By hickorynut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$79.99



Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2 picture

Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2

$34.99



Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF picture

Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF

$39.95



Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6 picture

Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6

$28.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00