Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: lilo and two os on two hard drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    lilo and two os on two hard drives

    Before I installed knoppix, I have win2k on a single hard drive. Last evening, I installed a new hard drive as the primary master, and changed the win2k drive to the primary slave. I have successfully installed knppix on the new drive. So, I have the following on the LILO menu:

    Linux : hda1
    Windows : hdb1

    If I chose linux, it boots linux fine. However, if I chose windows, it just won't boot windows.

    If I change the first booting device in the BIOS from HD0 to HD1, then I could boot windows.

    I really would like to have LILO work properly at the booting time. Please help.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You can't do this with Lilo: you need a method of tricking Windoze to think it's on the first hard drive.

    Just get Grub (apt-get install grub will do it) and read the grub documentation.

    (There are lots of examples in the HOWTOs)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You can have windows on the second hard drive-it sounds like your /etc/lilo.conf might need some tweaking tho- post it if you would. I think fingers99 is referring to the fact that if you were installing wimpdoze it would insist on being on the first hard drive. LILO just needs to point to your windows install and ntldr will boot windows from that point on.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    The following is my /etc/lilo.conf. It would be great if it's just a lilo setup problem.

    About grub, it comes with knoppix. I can type grub at a shell prompt and start a grub shell. As a quick (and dumb) question, is it a tool, similar to lilo, for the booting time?

    Thanks.

    =========================================
    vga=791
    lba32
    boot=/dev/hda
    root=/dev/hda1
    install=/boot/boot-menu.b
    map=/boot/map
    delay=20
    prompt
    timeout=150
    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
    default=Linux
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only
    image=/vmlinuz.old
    label=LinuxOLD
    read-only
    optional
    other=/dev/hdb1
    label="WinNT(hdb1)"
    ==========================================

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try changing the other=/dev/hdb1 to other=/dev/hdb.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinswin
    About grub, it comes with knoppix. I can type grub at a shell prompt and start a grub shell. As a quick (and dumb) question, is it a tool, similar to lilo, for the booting time?
    Yes but it works much differently. It's very easy to use IF you go read about it. One of the most important things to keep in mind is the way that GRUB names drives. It is like a SCSI BUS in that it starts numbering drives from 0 instead of 1. The best part of GRUB is that it reads a configuration file. All you do is edit the file- you never change GRUB. Once you set it up it's there- just edit the /grub/grub.conf file instead. You will see why this is a benefit as you use it. Soon you'll be booting any OS from any drive you want with ease.

    Personally, I use both LILO and GRUB. I always install LILO to the /root directory of every Linux distro that I install and simply add that partition into grub.conf. It's fast, it's easy. As was recommended- read the docs for GRUB. You can find a wealth of info on all things Linux at tldp.org

    Of course don't forget man grub.

    gluck

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    The following /boot/grub/menu.lst file worked for me, after trial and error.

    Now I have two more questions.
    1) I can boot into win2k and these drives are in "my computer":
    c, d, (counterpart of /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5, which are both ntfs)
    e, (cdrom)
    f, g, h, and I (counterpart of /dev/hda1, /dev/hda5-7, which are ext3).
    The linux partitions appear as unformated. How can I prevent the linux partitions from being formatted when using windows?

    2) Out of curiosity, in the configuration section for windows from the following menu.lst, why should it be

    rootnoverify (hd1,0)

    instead of

    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

    after swapping the drives? I tried the latter and got error message 13.

    ################################################## ###
    # Boot automatically after 30 secs.
    timeout 20

    # By default, boot the first entry.
    default 0

    # Fallback to the second entry.
    fallback 1

    # For booting GNU/Linux
    title GNU/Linux/Debian
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

    # For booting Windows from /dev/hdb1
    title Windoze 2000
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    ################################################## ##

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinswin
    The following /boot/grub/menu.lst file worked for me, after trial and error.

    Now I have two more questions.
    1) I can boot into win2k and these drives are in "my computer":
    c, d, (counterpart of /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5, which are both ntfs)
    e, (cdrom)
    f, g, h, and I (counterpart of /dev/hda1, /dev/hda5-7, which are ext3).
    The linux partitions appear as unformated. How can I prevent the linux partitions from being formatted when using windows?
    Not sure I follow you- are you saying that windows is trying to format your Linux drives by itself? That's insane. I'f it is I'd suggst that you go kick Bill's ass for creating a nazi-like OS but then if you did someone might sue me for making such a crazy although deserved suggestion so I'm not going to tell you that.

    2) Out of curiosity, in the configuration section for windows from the following menu.lst, why should it be

    rootnoverify (hd1,0)

    instead of

    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

    after swapping the drives? I tried the latter and got error message 13.
    You have the windows drive as hdb right? In 'grubspeak' /dev/hda=hd0 /dev/hdb=hd1

    SO I take it everything is working OK? You can boot either Linux or win from GRUB?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Not sure I follow you- are you saying that windows is trying to format your Linux drives by itself? That's insane. I'f it is I'd suggst that you go kick Bill's ass for creating a nazi-like OS but then if you did someone might sue me for making such a crazy although deserved suggestion so I'm not going to tell you that.

    Sorry for the confusion. Windows doesn't try to format my linux drives. I mean that these linux drives are visible to windows, and could be formatted, by mistake or unexperienced user. I wonder if it's possible to hide them from windows to avoid this.


    You have the windows drive as hdb right? In 'grubspeak' /dev/hda=hd0 /dev/hdb=hd1
    Windos drive is hdb. But in "grubspeak", it's still hd1 even after swapping? I thought it would be swapped as hd0.

    SO I take it everything is working OK? You can boot either Linux or win from GRUB?
    Yeah! I can boot both from grub. It's a great software.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinswin
    I wonder if it's possible to hide them from windows to avoid this.
    Ummm- sorry I dunno especially since a 4 year old can hack the Admin password on a wimpdoze box that could be kind of tough to do.


    Windos drive is hdb. But in "grubspeak", it's still hd1 even after swapping? I thought it would be swapped as hd0.
    Primary master=/dev/hda=hd0
    primary slave=/dev/hdb=hd1
    secondary master=/dev/hdc=hd2
    secondary slave=/dev/hdd=hd3

    If that's not what you're asking then I'm lost again- of course that seems to happen all to frequently these days. :P
    Glad you got some dual-boot action going on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 sees usb hard drives but not usb dvd
    By db109 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:40 AM
  2. i need some help on hard drives :(
    By passion_wheel1974 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
  3. Cannot see hard drives, please help
    By phsieh in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
  4. Finding Hard drives
    By lgreen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 06:19 AM
  5. Adding Hard Drives
    By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched picture

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$155.19



Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM picture

Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Kit DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 UDIMM Desktop 240-Pin CL11 RAM

$41.00



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99