You can't do this with Lilo: you need a method of tricking Windoze to think it's on the first hard drive.
Just get Grub (apt-get install grub will do it) and read the grub documentation.
(There are lots of examples in the HOWTOs)
Before I installed knoppix, I have win2k on a single hard drive. Last evening, I installed a new hard drive as the primary master, and changed the win2k drive to the primary slave. I have successfully installed knppix on the new drive. So, I have the following on the LILO menu:
Linux : hda1
Windows : hdb1
If I chose linux, it boots linux fine. However, if I chose windows, it just won't boot windows.
If I change the first booting device in the BIOS from HD0 to HD1, then I could boot windows.
I really would like to have LILO work properly at the booting time. Please help.
Thanks.
You can't do this with Lilo: you need a method of tricking Windoze to think it's on the first hard drive.
Just get Grub (apt-get install grub will do it) and read the grub documentation.
(There are lots of examples in the HOWTOs)
You can have windows on the second hard drive-it sounds like your /etc/lilo.conf might need some tweaking tho- post it if you would. I think fingers99 is referring to the fact that if you were installing wimpdoze it would insist on being on the first hard drive. LILO just needs to point to your windows install and ntldr will boot windows from that point on.
The following is my /etc/lilo.conf. It would be great if it's just a lilo setup problem.
About grub, it comes with knoppix. I can type grub at a shell prompt and start a grub shell. As a quick (and dumb) question, is it a tool, similar to lilo, for the booting time?
Thanks.
=========================================
vga=791
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
prompt
timeout=150
append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
default=Linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD
read-only
optional
other=/dev/hdb1
label="WinNT(hdb1)"
==========================================
Try changing the other=/dev/hdb1 to other=/dev/hdb.
Yes but it works much differently. It's very easy to use IF you go read about it. One of the most important things to keep in mind is the way that GRUB names drives. It is like a SCSI BUS in that it starts numbering drives from 0 instead of 1. The best part of GRUB is that it reads a configuration file. All you do is edit the file- you never change GRUB. Once you set it up it's there- just edit the /grub/grub.conf file instead. You will see why this is a benefit as you use it. Soon you'll be booting any OS from any drive you want with ease.Originally Posted by marlinswin
Personally, I use both LILO and GRUB. I always install LILO to the /root directory of every Linux distro that I install and simply add that partition into grub.conf. It's fast, it's easy. As was recommended- read the docs for GRUB. You can find a wealth of info on all things Linux at tldp.org
Of course don't forget man grub.
gluck
The following /boot/grub/menu.lst file worked for me, after trial and error.
Now I have two more questions.
1) I can boot into win2k and these drives are in "my computer":
c, d, (counterpart of /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5, which are both ntfs)
e, (cdrom)
f, g, h, and I (counterpart of /dev/hda1, /dev/hda5-7, which are ext3).
The linux partitions appear as unformated. How can I prevent the linux partitions from being formatted when using windows?
2) Out of curiosity, in the configuration section for windows from the following menu.lst, why should it be
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
instead of
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
after swapping the drives? I tried the latter and got error message 13.
################################################## ###
# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 20
# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0
# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1
# For booting GNU/Linux
title GNU/Linux/Debian
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1
# For booting Windows from /dev/hdb1
title Windoze 2000
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
################################################## ##
Not sure I follow you- are you saying that windows is trying to format your Linux drives by itself? That's insane. I'f it is I'd suggst that you go kick Bill's ass for creating a nazi-like OS but then if you did someone might sue me for making such a crazy although deserved suggestion so I'm not going to tell you that.Originally Posted by marlinswin
You have the windows drive as hdb right? In 'grubspeak' /dev/hda=hd0 /dev/hdb=hd12) Out of curiosity, in the configuration section for windows from the following menu.lst, why should it be
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
instead of
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
after swapping the drives? I tried the latter and got error message 13.
SO I take it everything is working OK? You can boot either Linux or win from GRUB?
Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Sorry for the confusion. Windows doesn't try to format my linux drives. I mean that these linux drives are visible to windows, and could be formatted, by mistake or unexperienced user. I wonder if it's possible to hide them from windows to avoid this.
Windos drive is hdb. But in "grubspeak", it's still hd1 even after swapping? I thought it would be swapped as hd0.You have the windows drive as hdb right? In 'grubspeak' /dev/hda=hd0 /dev/hdb=hd1
Yeah! I can boot both from grub. It's a great software.SO I take it everything is working OK? You can boot either Linux or win from GRUB?
Thanks.![]()
Ummm- sorry I dunno especially since a 4 year old can hack the Admin password on a wimpdoze box that could be kind of tough to do.Originally Posted by marlinswin
Primary master=/dev/hda=hd0Windos drive is hdb. But in "grubspeak", it's still hd1 even after swapping? I thought it would be swapped as hd0.
primary slave=/dev/hdb=hd1
secondary master=/dev/hdc=hd2
secondary slave=/dev/hdd=hd3
If that's not what you're asking then I'm lost again- of course that seems to happen all to frequently these days. :P
Glad you got some dual-boot action going on!

Lot 4x Intel Optane 512GB DCPMM NMA1XBD512GQS DDR4 2666 Persistent Memory 2TB
$1249.00
32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK
$109.99
Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM
$70.00
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
SK hynix (6x16GB) DDR5 4800 ECC EC4 SODIMM PC5-4800B 1Rx8 HMCG78MEBAA092N Tested
$1199.99
Samsung 64GB (2X 32GB) DDR4 2666v PC4 SODIMM Memory Ram M471A4G43MB1-CTD
$300.00
16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-Pin UDIMM
$75.99
16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz PC3-14900 UDIMM Non-ECC 240-Pin Memory Upgrade
$121.99