Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ELSA External Modem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    ELSA External Modem

    Hi There
    Can anybody tell me how to get my ELSA Microlink Modem working?
    Knoppix finds the modem and I can dial up my ISP but It does not connect I get error 10 & 19 unalbe to read /var/ !
    Do I need to set up my country first on the modem or is it not possible to run a modem using Knoppix CD?


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: ELSA External Modem

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidTempler
    Hi There
    Can anybody tell me how to get my ELSA Microlink Modem working?
    Knoppix finds the modem and I can dial up my ISP but It does not connect I get error 10 & 19 unalbe to read /var/ !
    Do I need to set up my country first on the modem or is it not possible to run a modem using Knoppix CD?

    Definitely possible to use a modem with Knoppix. How is your modem connected? Serial? USB? Always give some details.

    Have you tried any of the modem config tools from the menu?

    How about the search function here on the site?

    Sorry but I wouldn't expect too much assistance from me- I haven't used a modem in many years and I've probably forgotten more than I knew.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Modem Install

    Hi again,

    I have a serial external modem I could not connect at the time (I have a feeling its a server thing)

    Now I have Web & Email up and running.......

    I wish there could be doc. on Modems it would save a lot of hassle ( I do not seem to be alone on this...)

    Now that I have Sound Screen & Modem I would like to install Linux fully....

    Thanks Again for your Time

    Dave

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Modem Install

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidTempler
    Hi again,

    I have a serial external modem I could not connect at the time (I have a feeling its a server thing)

    Now I have Web & Email up and running.......

    I wish there could be doc. on Modems it would save a lot of hassle ( I do not seem to be alone on this...)

    Now that I have Sound Screen & Modem I would like to install Linux fully....

    Thanks Again for your Time

    Dave
    Some documentation on modems you say? That is a good idea. IMHO it would be best written by:
    A) Somone who uses a modem.
    B) Someone who had to work at it a little to figure it out.

    So now that you've got it working are you not going to tell us how you did it? Think about this:

    Mr. X boots Knoppix. Everything is great except- his Micromodem won't work. Mr. X (being the good Linux user that he is) does a search and lo and behold there it is! A post about his own modem but wait! There isn't an answer at the end of the one and only post about Micromodems. You see where I'm going with this right?

    Perhaps you were not aware that anybody can write docs on this site. It is called a wiki- check it out and see if you can contribute in some way. You could start small and others could add to it and in time.......well we might just have another great how-to for modem users.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Wiki

    Message understood over & out

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    hey
    i have exactyly the same porblem and i have exactly the same modem
    caould uy please tell me how u fixed it?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Elsa Modem

    Hi , can you tell me about your problem & I may be able to help ....

    I have got my modem working but under 3.2 I cannot save settings for internet , so i have to enter then every time I boot Knoppix


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    its on com2
    i enterin all my acounts
    qwery the modem
    when i connect it dials
    but does not ortharise and gives exit vals 10 & 19

    i havent got any drivers for it
    and it is knoppix 3.2 think (it came free on julys pc format)

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    modem

    jammers in KPPP go set up ,query modem does it show the name of your modem if it does then you have the correct device....as for drivers you need none (thats the beauty of ex.modems)

    the only settings I needed to get my modem running was phone number log in ( name) & password leave all others alone ....

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    i mannaged to get it
    i used PAP and it worked (i had used it b4 and i didnt work) must of been there problem

    thanx for hte help

Similar Threads

  1. rockwell external modem need help
    By bako in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
  2. usb external modem not found - help
    By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 02:19 AM
  3. ELSA External Modem
    By DavidTempler in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 10:27 AM
  4. ambient external modem
    By sopo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. external 56k modem
    By in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00