Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: saving settings on floppy disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16

    saving settings on floppy disk

    Hi!

    When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?


    Thanks a lot for your help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16

    Re: saving settings on floppy disk

    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?
    I have the exact same problem on Knoppix v3.2-2003-05-20.

    I saved the config files on both a DOS and ext2 floppy. Both config files were there, but I always got the "/dev is a directory" error.

    I'm downloading V3.2-2003-06-06 as I type this. Maybe that will help. If so, I'll post back...


    -jb

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore

    But I still want to know why this happened (I'm sure it's for a very simple reason)

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore
    I'd like to be able to save and restore the configuration files. I would think that's how most people use Knoppix.

    I tried Knoppix v3.2-2003-06-06-EN and it also failed to load the saved configuration on my Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. I also tried it on an IBM Thinkpad at work and it failed too.

    I used "knoppix myconfig=scan" but have also tried "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" and it fails too. Here are the screen messages from the boot screen.

    Checking /mnt/ for Knoppix configuration files...
    Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption
    /dev/ Is a directory
    Mount failed, retry? [Y,n]

    After that, Knoppix starts to automount the drives. Could the mounting of the flopppy disk be too soon in the process... before the automounter runs?

    Thanks for any help


    -jb

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5

    Saving Config to Floppy in ver 3.2 or STD 0.1b

    I found on one of the forum threads that the new cheat command is not repeat not "Knoppix myconfig=". The new command is:
    "Knoppix floppyconf" This worked fine with the save config utility in KDE.

    Hope it works for you!!

Similar Threads

  1. Saving Files to floppy disk
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  2. Saving config files to floppy disk
    By Leslie Simon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
  3. Saving settings to a URL?
    By true1ever in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM
  4. Saving settings to a floppy
    By broy in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
  5. Saving settings to disk
    By zerveza in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD

$799.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00