I split your post from where it was originally so that it would be seen It's usually a good idea to start your own thread. Now.......how about some hardware info? Have you entered your brand/model NIC into the search field?
I did this trick, pump -i etho and this is what I got back: operation failed. I'm new to knoppix or debian in general... I need the answer as soon as possible... When I do the netcardconfig and this is what I get; have found a network card but not supported.
thanks a lot for any help....
I split your post from where it was originally so that it would be seen It's usually a good idea to start your own thread. Now.......how about some hardware info? Have you entered your brand/model NIC into the search field?
Were you root we entering this command?
Try it as root and see what happens. If that doesn't work, report back the results here.
Same thing happened to msyelf too.. On a fresh install of knoppix to HD, it runs great... (on laptop with wireless card) ... my eth0 is setup as my LAN, and works great...
Then i upgraded my packages and since, my eth0 is totally down..and i get the same message "Operation Failed" and the only way i can get anything working is if i run the knoppix-autoconfig (which basically runs pump) but my LAN card get's moved to eth1 now... ?? and i can't run "ifdown eth1" on it either.. it's kinda bizzare...
anyone else with these sort of problems?
I had the same problem, using an IBM thinkpad T30. It seems that for whatever reason pump, and ifconfig both lose the ability to set some flags using ioctl(), or something like that.
My workaround was to kill pump, remove, and reinstall the kernel modules for my NIC, configure my interface with iwconfig, then restart pump.
For example,
pump --kill
rmmod orinoco_pci orinoco hermes
insmod hermes;insmod orinoco;insmod orinoco_pci
iwconfig eth0 essid "network" key restricted 0123456789ABCDEF0123456789A
pump
I hope that helps.

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99