-
Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...
I love the idea of Knoppix, but unfortunately haven't been able to check it for myself - whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages:
#1 "initrd extends beyond range of memory (0x1bff5db4)"
and then, a few seconds later...
#2 "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 01:01"
And then the boot hangs there forever (well, probably; obviously I haven't actually left it quite that long!)
Does anyone know what the problem might be and if there's a way to get around it? Any suggestions gratefully very received.
I'm running an AMD Athlon 1600 with 512Mb RAM and 40G HDD, if that's any help.
Stu
-
Senior Member
registered user
Make a boot floopy from the en image on your CD-R. Then reset your bios to make sure the floppy boots first. Try it this way and see if it will load.
-
Senior Member
registered user
RE: Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...
<snip>
...whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages...
</snip>
You MAY have a memory problem. Go to
http://www.memtest86.com
and download the FREE program -- there are versions that create a bootable floppy and a bootable CD, pick which is appropriate to your needs. Some memory problems will never be seen by Windows, but will clobber Linux.
Another possibility is an incompatible chipset -- what'cha got?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...
--I have to do this for my "fast" system (AMD 900MHz Duron with 196(608?) KB of Ram:
boot: ' knoppix mem=190M ' == Make sure you cap the M
--The reason for it is that the Knoppix boot process can't autodetect the proper amount of RAM that's installed on the machine when it tries to boot. HD-installed Linux (including Knoppix!) works fine w/o any boot switches. (shrug) Only happens on that one machine. Klaus mentioned something a long time ago about certain motherboards / chipsets having this issue; I just passed on the workaround. Post results.

Originally Posted by
StuPC
I love the idea of Knoppix, but unfortunately haven't been able to check it for myself - whenever I try to boot from CD I get two error messages:
#1 "initrd extends beyond range of memory (0x1bff5db4)"
and then, a few seconds later...
#2 "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount roof fs on 01:01"
And then the boot hangs there forever (well, probably; obviously I haven't actually left it quite that long!)
Does anyone know what the problem might be and if there's a way to get around it? Any suggestions gratefully very received.
I'm running an AMD Athlon 1600 with 512Mb RAM and 40G HDD, if that's any help.
Stu
-
Actually, I seem to remember having to do something very similar when I tried (and eventually failed) to install RedHat...
When do I type this in? My system never gives me any opportunity before or during the boot-up... (my apologies if I'm being thick here)
Cheers,
Stu
--I have to do this for my "fast" system (AMD 900MHz Duron with 196(608?) KB of Ram:
boot: ' knoppix mem=190M ' == Make sure you cap the M
--The reason for it is that the Knoppix boot process can't autodetect the proper amount of RAM that's installed on the machine when it tries to boot. HD-installed Linux (including Knoppix!) works fine w/o any boot switches. (shrug) Only happens on that one machine. Klaus mentioned something a long time ago about certain motherboards / chipsets having this issue; I just passed on the workaround. Post results.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Right at boot startup when you're first seeing knoppix/linux text, you have to hit F2. Then you will then be presented with the cheat code screen. Just type it in and hit enter. Let us know what happens.
-
Thanks very much for the help, guys - that worked perfectly.
Now, if I can only get Knoppix to recognise my modem, printer, camera and MP3 player...
Similar Threads
-
By JordyC in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2004, 04:50 PM
-
By onnrmf in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 07:53 PM
-
By Athalon1951 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
-
By Uwe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 05:22 PM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch
$175.00