-
DHCP failed
Hello, everybody
I downloaded the newest Knoppix 3.2 and my computer is a P4 1.8G with a M$ XP. Under XP, I can use DHCP to connect the internet through my netcard. Under Knoppix, I try to run the netcardconfig, selected the DHCP, but it replyed "Failed". I am sure the network can also be reached with Macintosh OS X.
Can anybody give me a suggestion to make the DHCP work on knoppix?
Thank you very much.
kenny
-
Senior Member
registered user
What kind of NIC? Did you enter 'dhcp' in the search field on the top of the page. You'd probably find some good suggestions there.
-
Hello, rickenbacherus
Yes, I have already searched on the forum, but not found similar problems.
What is NIC? I have no idea about it. Can you explain it to me?
And my network administratator give me the following information, hope it can help you understand my situation:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Unfortunately, we do not provide official support for Linux operating
systems. Also, I have no personal experience with Knoppix. However,
getting these things to work is normally pretty simple. I've personally
used several linux distributions with the campus ethernet with no
problems.
It's not really possible to manually configure your network setting
because part of what DHCP does is assign dynamic IP addresses. Without
that assignment, you have no IP address and any other settings that you
apply are useless.
I would double check to ensure that your network card is being detected
and configured correctly. Is the interface up? Routes established?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I think it's wield because my XP can connect out successfully with DHCP, is there
something different in the process of bootup DHCP between XP and linux?
Thank you for your reply,
kenny
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes Knoppix will work with DHCP. A NIC is Network Interface Card. What kind of network card do you have? Is it an onboard or a PCI card or pcmcia? We need to know what chipset it uses. Have a look in windows device manager- not sure what it will tell you but surely somewhere in windows it will tell you what you have. You could boot the Knoppix cd and do this in a terminal:
lspci -v
-
Hi, rickenbacherus
In the XP, it is a RTL-8139 netcard. I found that there's a file under /etc has the correct netcard information about 8139foo under knoppix.
Thank you very much,
kenny
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kenny
In the XP, it is a RTL-8139 netcard. I found that there's a file under /etc has the correct netcard information about 8139foo under knoppix.
Thank you very much,
kenny
I had similar symptoms (dhcp failure on a P4 1.7G with a RTL-8139 nic) that was solved by booting with the noapic option. That is, at the boot prompt enter:knoppix noapic
In the startup logs (dmesg) there was a "NETDEV timeout message" that provided a clue to my problem.
Your mileage may vary...
-
Hello, catfish
You are quite right! Now I can use DHCP to connect to internet successfully. Thank you very much!
It must be a bug of knoppix, hope it will be fixed in the next version.
And thanks for everyone here,
Yours,
Kenny
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
kenny
It must be a bug of knoppix, hope it will be fixed in the next version.
Don't be so sure it's a bug in Knoppix - I have a different NIC (one built into a laptop), but had a problem that sounds the same as yours. knoppix noapic also solves my problem. But here's the kicker - the same Knoppix CDR (written and finalized) used to boot and work on the network fine on the same computer! And I'm also running XP on the system as you are. And as far as I can tell, the eeprom settings in the NIC have been changed.
At least we have a work-around. And maybe a future version will be able to always set up the NIC properly, no matter what the eeprom tells it.
Similar Threads
-
By trig in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-10-2004, 05:32 PM
-
By MrT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:59 AM
-
By dresac in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By fifaplayer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 05:57 AM
-
By Terryshi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99