Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: What is with the 99's??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    What is with the 99's??

    I have completed a hd install of Knoppix KDE 3.1 (so I thought) but on rebooting my machine I am confronted with L 99 99 99 99 99 ... and so on for about a third of the screen right after it has mentioned "Veryifying DMI Pool Data".

    I havn't seen this before and I'm wondering 1. Why is it there, and 2. How do I rectify the situation.

    Thanks heaps.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Perhaps you have killed LILO?
    Try reinstalling it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Lilo? What is that...

    Sorry, I don't know what 'Lilo' is... I just ran knx-hdinstall followed the prompts and went from there...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Did it ever work, or has this started after it having work previously?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Lilo and 99

    Worked previously on CDrom only. This happened straight after rebooting my computer from the hd install.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Are you dual booting w/ wimpdoze or do you only have Knoppix installed? If you just have Knoppix then.....

    Boot the Knoppix cd.
    Open a terminal and do this:

    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    chroot /mnt/hda1
    /sbin/lilo -v


    If you're dual booting w/ windows then you may need to edit /etc/lilo.conf

    If it fails to work or errors post your /etc/lilo.conf file please.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Changing the Root problems

    chroot /mnt/hda1
    I got an error

    Cannot change root directory to mnt/hda1: Operation not permitted
    I am assuming I havn't got "Administrators Access" but I have no idea how to get it considering I never entered a password into Linux anywhere!

    Please advise.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Anytime you get a permission error you can retry with 'sudo' so..

    sudo chroot /mnt/hda1

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Prblems with hdinstall and the number 99

    Well, I searched on this site and found how to make a root password to gain the full access. I then proceeded to do the following commands

    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    chroot /mnt/hda1
    /sbin/lilo -v
    I received this error on the /sbin/lilo

    Unrecognized token "! Please edit etc/lilo.conf before running lilo !" At or above line 20 in file 'etc/lilo.conf'
    Here is everything from line 1 to 20 inclusive. I'm not too sure how to edit this file because I have no orientation to where anything is with this whole ramdisk this, cdrom that, mount the other... but here goes:

    # /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(' and `lilo.conf(5)',
    # --------------- `install-mbr(', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
    # and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.

    # Remove this line when you are done configuring. -KK
    "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!"

    # +---------------------------------------------------------------+
    # | !! Reminder !! |
    # | |
    # | Don't forget to run `lilo' after you make changes to this |
    # | conffile, `/boot/bootmess.txt', or install a new kernel. The |
    # | computer will most likely fail to boot if a kernel-image |
    # | post-install script or you don't remember to run `lilo'. |
    # | |
    # +---------------------------------------------------------------+

    # Support LBA for large hard disks.
    #
    lba32
    Thanks in advance. I am weary of my unexperience and have come close to exploding at this a few times now. Your help is much appreciated.

    Ps> It was a bugger of a thing getting this stupid text on a disk! apparently I needed to CTRL+Z the program 'less' for it to update the terminal window with the text I wanted... Go on, have a laugh at my expense... My shout.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Prblems with hdinstall and the number 99

    Unrecognized token "! Please edit etc/lilo.conf before running lilo !" At or above line 20 in file 'etc/lilo.conf'
    # Remove this line when you are done configuring. -KK
    "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!"
    There is no comment ( # ) in front of the line starting with "!Please.
    Just edit the file and remove the entire line or put the comment ( # ) there save the file and then run lilo again with the chroot command. eg. from the cd boot.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 
    sudo gvim /mnt/hda1/etc/lilo.conf
    [edit]

    Then you would sudo chroot /mnt/hda1 /sbin/lilo -v
    [/edit]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00