Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???

    Hello,

    I am trying to build a new bootable CD with my RedHat installation on it.

    So I want to copy all my data : /usr /bin /etc ... and then add the Knoppix boot and autodetection parameters.
    Once it has been done, I want to "cloop" it an burn it on a cdrom.

    But the problem is that I can't copy my /dev directory. I can't copy the nodes with the cp command.
    How can I do to put a second /dev directory on my hard drive (in /tmp/dev per exemple) ??

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    30
    use cp -R not cp -r the capital R ignores device nodes. That should fix your problem. I am curious how you will go about building an iso from an installed redhat system. Do you have detailed instructions on how to do this? If so could you please reply to this post and let me know how you did it, if not could you please point me in the right direction, IE docs that could help me unserstand how this is done. Thanks

    my email is [email protected]

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2
    hello ignuu,

    Thank you for the information I'll try it this evening

    I don't have any information on the way to procede to perform an RedHat installation on a CD like Knoppix.
    But I want to try it in order to learn more about the way that linux takes when it boot.
    The only informations I get now is the documentation available on the Knoppix cd (pdf files) + infos about how to compress files with the cloop utilitie that I compiled an launched on my PC (//knopper.net/knoppix/sources)

    I hope I will be able to adapt the autoconfiguration files used on Knoppix for my redhat distribution.
    If it works (with the help of God....) I'll tell it to you, but nothing I think that it is a long work....

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Copy Why?
    By Loserkid in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 07:23 AM
  2. how do i copy
    By inurenegade in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:58 AM
  3. can't copy to hdd
    By stewball in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. copy to hdd
    By xyzbob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
  5. Where can I get a copy of 3.2?
    By jims in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer Retro System Console Untested Parts Repair Only picture

VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer Retro System Console Untested Parts Repair Only

$119.99



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00