Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Design Programs

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Design Programs

    Has anyone got any suggestions for perhaps near professional applications available for designing on linux?

    I regularly use Photoshop and Dreamweaver as well as Flash and Fireworks and it would be good to have a look at a linux alternative.

    Perhaps they could be emulated? I own Flash but I am saving for the others. I work with them all every day at work though so I am not too keen on relearning how to walk after learning so much about the windows apps.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    GIMP is a popular graphics program although I don't really know what it is or isn't capable of since drawing stick figures present a challenge for me.

    The others progs (assuming they're wimpdoze apps) can presumably run in WINE but I can't promise you that since I don't know what they are either.

    Kmenu>WINE

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    You're screwed

    Pro design programs are nonexistant on Linux so your only bet is trying to run your existing programs under Wine. If you do design for a living I'm sorry to say that Linux isn't probably for you. You'd probably be better of with a new Mac if you want to do pro design and still enjoy the benefits of a unix-like OS.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Design in Linux - reply

    design for a living I'm sorry to say that Linux isn't probably for you
    Thanks burke3gd, it's ok. I have a Windows 2000 machine that I use for design and it serves me quite well across the spectrum of work that I do.

    I will one day (when my after hours business becomes a thriving enterprise) make room for Mac Laptops because as you say, it is a unix-like OS.

    I suppose music composition is non-exhistant either?

    GIMP is a popular graphics program although I don't really know what it is or isn't capable of
    Thanks for rickenbacherus, I have heard a lot about GIMP. I am yet to see what it is and isn't capable of but you don't hear of many professional applications where designers have used GIMP. Like most almost-professional programs, it probably limited to RGB which is unsuitable for printing.

    By the way, I have gone to Linux because I want to better understand the Linux way of doing things especially online with PHP and the likes of about 99% of web servers. In other light, I like the look and feel plus I need something that can do all the office work. Knoppix comes with all the office tools I need so bugger the cost of Microsoft Office... that's one penny they aren't getting from me.

    Cheers to everyone on this forum!!

Similar Threads

  1. OS Design Differences
    By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
  2. Programs will not run
    By dvest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 06:40 AM
  3. Great Design
    By thadk in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 01:26 AM
  4. new design
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED. picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED.

$214.99