Dear All -
If I use the command fdisk -l I get the usual and expected output of the style
Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 131604479 131602432 62.8G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 131604480 1180327679 1048723200 500.1G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 1180327680 2229050879 1048723200 500.1G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
My question concerns the line
/dev/sda1 * 2048 131604479 131602432 62.8G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
Surely that means that /dev/sda1 starts at sector number 2048 and that there are 2,048 sectors at the start of /dev/sda (yes, numbered 0000-2047) allocated otherwise?
For various reasons I want to zero these initial sectors of /dev/sda using the command
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=2048
but to my annoyance (and very considerable damage to the system) this also zeroes the first sector of /dev/sda1.
That is, the dd command zeroes not just those sectors numbered 0000-2047 but also the sector numbered 2048: so 2049 altogether. not 2048.
I am absolutely convinced that my understanding of counts / numbers / numbering as described above was correct under 7.4.2 and that I issued commands, many times, in the manner describe without damaging /dev/sda1; (but I am a bit nervous now about checking that)!
Can anybody conform that I am right? That I am wrong? That dd under 8.2.0 is glitchy?
Thank you!
Fergus
PS And by the way (completely different and unconnected) I find the file /boot/isolinux/ifcpu64.c32 is broken in the 8.2.0 installation and I have to over-write it with the same file from 7.4.2 for things to work properly. Anybody else?
Fergus

Vintage Kaypro WordStar MailMerge User Guide + CP/M Manuals Pair No Disks
$24.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage AT&T PC 6300 PC Interface Sealed Communications Series Factory Sealed
$24.99
Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115
$90.00
RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00
Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00