Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: On exit : dirty bit is always set

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    On exit : dirty bit is always set

    Earlier versions of KNOPPIX always automatically unmounted any mounted devices on "halt" (init 0) or "reboot" (init 6) if the user had forgotten to do so.
    Recently (since at least 7.4.2, maybe a lot earlier) this kind feature was removed; and then, in any future session, attempting to mount an external device, one might get the error message "device not properly unmounted". No problem, easily managed.
    But on 8.2.0 I find that the boot device is itself left "dirty". Bu this I mean:
    I operate KNOPPIX from a USB boot flash drive /dev/sda1. Every time I start up, if I try
    $ dosfsck -r /dev/sda1
    then I get
    0x41 : Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    So, on exiting KNOPPIX, not even the boot device (let alone any others mounted during a session) is unmounted. This, surely, is an oversight.
    Can anything be done manually just before exit? I tried the obvious "umount /dev/sda1" and "umount /mnt-system" but got the same error message "device is in use".
    Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
    Fergus

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Hi Fergus,

    I am a very very newbie!

    I suggest you to exit "PROPERLY ALL APPLICATIONS"

    opened ( included those you MIGTH have forgotten!!!!).

    before "exiting any SESSION".

    I haveencountered almost such a problem with some

    older versions.

    I used the "trick" completed, sometimes, with the "windows

    chkdsk program" (the corresponding of"fsck program"

    on the the "Fat Partition"

    Good luck !

    knp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz

$380.00



SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM picture

SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM

$1950.00