-
On exit : dirty bit is always set
Earlier versions of KNOPPIX always automatically unmounted any mounted devices on "halt" (init 0) or "reboot" (init 6) if the user had forgotten to do so.
Recently (since at least 7.4.2, maybe a lot earlier) this kind feature was removed; and then, in any future session, attempting to mount an external device, one might get the error message "device not properly unmounted". No problem, easily managed.
But on 8.2.0 I find that the boot device is itself left "dirty". Bu this I mean:
I operate KNOPPIX from a USB boot flash drive /dev/sda1. Every time I start up, if I try
$ dosfsck -r /dev/sda1
then I get
0x41 : Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
So, on exiting KNOPPIX, not even the boot device (let alone any others mounted during a session) is unmounted. This, surely, is an oversight.
Can anything be done manually just before exit? I tried the obvious "umount /dev/sda1" and "umount /mnt-system" but got the same error message "device is in use".
Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
Fergus
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 10 /16GB DDR4 laptop RAM
$500.00

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50