-
On exit : dirty bit is always set
Earlier versions of KNOPPIX always automatically unmounted any mounted devices on "halt" (init 0) or "reboot" (init 6) if the user had forgotten to do so.
Recently (since at least 7.4.2, maybe a lot earlier) this kind feature was removed; and then, in any future session, attempting to mount an external device, one might get the error message "device not properly unmounted". No problem, easily managed.
But on 8.2.0 I find that the boot device is itself left "dirty". Bu this I mean:
I operate KNOPPIX from a USB boot flash drive /dev/sda1. Every time I start up, if I try
$ dosfsck -r /dev/sda1
then I get
0x41 : Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
So, on exiting KNOPPIX, not even the boot device (let alone any others mounted during a session) is unmounted. This, surely, is an oversight.
Can anything be done manually just before exit? I tried the obvious "umount /dev/sda1" and "umount /mnt-system" but got the same error message "device is in use".
Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
Fergus
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99