Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: On exit : dirty bit is always set

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    On exit : dirty bit is always set

    Earlier versions of KNOPPIX always automatically unmounted any mounted devices on "halt" (init 0) or "reboot" (init 6) if the user had forgotten to do so.
    Recently (since at least 7.4.2, maybe a lot earlier) this kind feature was removed; and then, in any future session, attempting to mount an external device, one might get the error message "device not properly unmounted". No problem, easily managed.
    But on 8.2.0 I find that the boot device is itself left "dirty". Bu this I mean:
    I operate KNOPPIX from a USB boot flash drive /dev/sda1. Every time I start up, if I try
    $ dosfsck -r /dev/sda1
    then I get
    0x41 : Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    So, on exiting KNOPPIX, not even the boot device (let alone any others mounted during a session) is unmounted. This, surely, is an oversight.
    Can anything be done manually just before exit? I tried the obvious "umount /dev/sda1" and "umount /mnt-system" but got the same error message "device is in use".
    Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
    Fergus

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Hi Fergus,

    I am a very very newbie!

    I suggest you to exit "PROPERLY ALL APPLICATIONS"

    opened ( included those you MIGTH have forgotten!!!!).

    before "exiting any SESSION".

    I haveencountered almost such a problem with some

    older versions.

    I used the "trick" completed, sometimes, with the "windows

    chkdsk program" (the corresponding of"fsck program"

    on the the "Fat Partition"

    Good luck !

    knp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99