Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![]()
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![]()
You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?Originally Posted by rdoma219
Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.
HTH,
- - Edwin
rdoma219 wrote:
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?
Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.
HTH,
- - Edwin
Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
I don't know. Don't think so, but you could just try it. As you are booting from CD your entire OS runs in memory. You can't do any harm. If it does not work just reboot.Originally Posted by rdoma219
Also there are more boot-options (cheat-codes) then the F2 trick reveals. You can have a look at them here. You can string them together. For starters you could try 'knoppix 2' or 'knoppix 2 vga=normal'. If that gives you a console the problem is with xserver, but I must confess that I am a little out of depht with that.
The exact wording of the message on screen would probally help. That is (just) one of the great things of Linux: the error-messages actually help; they don't leave you wondering what sort of marketing-ploy is unleashed on your machine if you click OK ;=)I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
- - Edwin
In addition to the above suggestions you could try the noddc cheat code to stop auto-detection of the monitor some monitors have a problem with that which causes them to blank and that may be happening here.
I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated.Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated
Thanks for the info, it worked, now I have to enter a code to change the language from german to english.![]()

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5”
$100.00
AU SELLER VINTAGE SOUND CARD RME DIGI 96/8 PRO "A" GRADE EXAMPLE -TESTED
$390.48
Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts
$49.78
Vintage 1977 Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR) S-100 Computer Board
$199.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99