Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Compaq mv monitor woes.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lowell Mi.
    Posts
    10

    Compaq mv monitor woes.

    Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Compaq mv monitor woes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdoma219
    Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?

    Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.

    HTH,

    - - Edwin

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lowell Mi.
    Posts
    10
    rdoma219 wrote:
    Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks


    You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?

    Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.

    HTH,

    - - Edwin

    Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoma219
    rdoma219 wrote:
    :shock: Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop?
    I don't know. Don't think so, but you could just try it. As you are booting from CD your entire OS runs in memory. You can't do any harm. If it does not work just reboot.

    Also there are more boot-options (cheat-codes) then the F2 trick reveals. You can have a look at them here. You can string them together. For starters you could try 'knoppix 2' or 'knoppix 2 vga=normal'. If that gives you a console the problem is with xserver, but I must confess that I am a little out of depht with that.

    I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
    The exact wording of the message on screen would probally help. That is (just) one of the great things of Linux: the error-messages actually help; they don't leave you wondering what sort of marketing-ploy is unleashed on your machine if you click OK ;=)

    - - Edwin

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    In addition to the above suggestions you could try the noddc cheat code to stop auto-detection of the monitor some monitors have a problem with that which causes them to blank and that may be happening here.

  6. #6
    Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
    I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lowell Mi.
    Posts
    10
    I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated

    Thanks for the info, it worked, now I have to enter a code to change the language from german to english.

Similar Threads

  1. Woes Using CDs
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. Apt-get woes
    By Shadda in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
  3. hd install woes
    By maul in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:56 PM
  4. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. ssh woes!!!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00