--I updated the instructions again, and have used them myself several times now in the past couple of days. Suggestion:
1. Do *everything* exactly as written, in Knoppix, from text-mode root console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) - real sysadmins don't use GUI for configuration... :P

2. Boot Knoppix also on the *client* machine, and manually ifconfig eth0 to
"ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0 up"

--Then see if it works using ncftp as described. Once you have it working, you can reboot the client box to Win and try it from there. (Of course you will have to reconfig the server for 192.168... and the new netmask, but Linux makes it easy.) If it still doesn't work on the Win side, try the DOS ftp client.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanh
I've tried this again.
The result on the Win98-box are the same as earlier.

On my knoppix-box console the following apeared:
Code:
ftp(pam-unix)[947]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=192.168.0.51 user=knoppix
ftp(pam-unix)[954]: auth could not identify password for [ftp]
I am sure I used the right password and username.
I also tried on the Win98-box in IE 6.0 to use the following adress:
Code:
ftp://knoppix:[email protected]
IE explorer did exactly the same as when I typed
Code:
ftp://192.168.0.10
So what could there be wrong?
I think there might be 2 causes for this:

1. I do something wrong in the host-file.
Maybe the information I put in the host-file about the knoppix-machine is wrong.
I did gave some information about the client, but I think that should not be needed.
If it's needed I still have a problem when I want to connect over the internet.
I do not always know in front on which machine I'm working.
Or should I just put in the information of the firewall/router which will be the first hop for the knoppix-box?

2. There is something wrong with the user.
I'm still getting error-messages when adding a user with adduser

I hope someone can answer me what I have to do to get things working.

Thanks.