Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Root login problems (HD Install)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7

    Root login problems (HD Install)

    Hello

    I am new to Linux and must confess I don't know an awful lot about it-but I am trying to learn.

    I installed Knoppix on my HD (dual boot - XP). I managed to install it without to much difficulty but when it comes to the login page I am prompted for a login name and password for Knoppix user and Root user. When I type in the names I set up for Root, it keeps on telling me the name and/or password is wrong. I can only log in as a knoppix user which doesn't allow me to do very much.

    I am not very familiar with linux tools so need a step by step guide on how to alter this (if I can).

    Help please

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    Hmm...

    The name of the root-user is "root" so you can't give it any other name. Try typing "root" (in lower case) as the username and then use the password you specified during install. Or click root in the list on the left and type only the password if you'are using the kdm login manager. Also remember that linux is case-sensitive so you need to type the password and usernames exactly the same way as during the install.

    If you for some reason can't remember the root password you probably will need to do a reinstall.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12
    I had the same trouble with the hard drive install. Here are the steps that I did:
    1. I booted the Knoppix CD
    2. I mounted the partition where Linux was installed during the knx-hdinstall as read-write (right click on the disk icon, select Properties, then Device, and de-select "Read only")
    3. I located the /etc/shadow file on the partition (be sure that it is the one on the hard drive, not the CD)
    4. I opened up a root terminal (under the K menu>KNOPPIX)
    5. I typed "kedit /mnt/hdax/etc/shadow" (where x is the hard drive partition)
    6. The first line was root. I deleted everything between the first two colons (":"). That is the encrypted password.

    The line will now be "root::0:99999:7:::"

    Logout from the CD and remove it. You can now log into root leaving the password blank. When you are in root, open a terminal and type passwd to change your password.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    If you are using LILO to boot Linux then at the LILO prompt do this:


    linux single

    Then after it boots (into text mode)

    passwd

    Then just give root a new password.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    In addition to the other helpful suggestions already made if you used a password for root longer than 8 characters the password got shortened to only the first 8 characters try just using the first 8 characters when you login if this was the case.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot login other than root, pls help
    By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. After HD install root login problems!
    By siri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
  3. KDE Root Login Problems
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 05:27 AM
  4. How do root login
    By mienque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
  5. hd install 3.4 only root can login into x
    By darkstar2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 03:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00