-
Junior Member
registered user
I had the same trouble with the hard drive install. Here are the steps that I did:
1. I booted the Knoppix CD
2. I mounted the partition where Linux was installed during the knx-hdinstall as read-write (right click on the disk icon, select Properties, then Device, and de-select "Read only")
3. I located the /etc/shadow file on the partition (be sure that it is the one on the hard drive, not the CD)
4. I opened up a root terminal (under the K menu>KNOPPIX)
5. I typed "kedit /mnt/hdax/etc/shadow" (where x is the hard drive partition)
6. The first line was root. I deleted everything between the first two colons (":"). That is the encrypted password.
The line will now be "root::0:99999:7:::"
Logout from the CD and remove it. You can now log into root leaving the password blank. When you are in root, open a terminal and type passwd to change your password.
Similar Threads
-
By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By siri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
-
By Jameson in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 05:27 AM
-
By mienque in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
-
By darkstar2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99