-
Senior Member
registered user
I spent the weekend to fix this XP patch and now can install GRUB on either FAT or NTFS under XP. Should also work under W2K/NT but definitely not 95/98/ME(they are cripped win32 that the program will not run) where I believe loadlin is a better solution.
GRUB now gives me more flexibility to test out linux on my 'Microsoft' controlled HD, comparing with LILO which requires me to rerun under linux whenever I want to add a new kernel/initrd combination.
I would mail you the files after I clean them up a bit. Too bad I can't find a place where I can setup a website so people can download from there as I believe it would be quite useful for situation where booting from floppy/cd-rom is disable. A KNOPPIX like system can slip into an XP machine by :
xcopy stage1 c:\boot\stage1
xcopy stage2 c:\boot\stage2
xcopy xpgrub.exe c:\boot\grub\
xcopy menu.lst c:\boot\grub\
c:\boot\grub\xpgrub
echo 'c:\boot\stage1="linux"' >> c:\boot.ini
and on the next boot up, KNOPPIX can take over.
Of course, the menu.lst must be prepared.
In fact, I learnt a neat trick on GRUB mailing list that I can boot a CD-ROM from GRUB through Smart Boot Manager for those non-IDE CD-ROMs like PCMCIA connected one(that is the feature of SBM), or as mentioned a machine with CD-ROM booting disabled. So it is possible to just have grub(and friends installed) and boot KNOPPIX CD from there. Of course, for odd CD-ROMs, the initrd in the KNOPPIX CD needs to be changed to load the proper drivers before it start the search of itself
Similar Threads
-
By y23 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
-
By bigkahuna in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
-
By Kumagoro in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
-
By rchinoy in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:19 AM
-
By subarus in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules
$599.00

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX-4PST-RMK Adjustable 4-Post Rack Mount Kit NEW Factory Sealed
$150.00

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99