Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Networking problems with Windows

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7

    Networking problems with Windows

    Hello

    Having a bit of a hard time with configuring my network settings. I am new to Knopppix and am not familiar with the various scripts etc and programs.

    I have a windows network and linux is installed on the client pc. I use a network hub (so the host is a server essentially).

    I am getting confused with samba and Kate? I don't think samba is installed and don't know how to install it. Its all geting a bit much.

    Can someone help please.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    sambapasswd -a knoppix
    (set a samba password)
    /etc/init.d/samba start (or possibly restart instead)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7
    OK I did that - I'm probably being a bit thick here, but where do I go from here?

    Sorry - I'm needing spoon fed.

    Thanks

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    for knoppix to Windows... try:

    smbconfig //WindowsPCName/Windsharedfolder /mnt/MakeThisDirectory

    the thing I got stuck on is there is NO samba* on the knoppix CD, its smbconfig

    Where is the Services Button like I get in Redhat??

    knoppix complains about smbmount, but it does do it.
    I havnt yet got smb to talk to another Linux box (I use fish with SSH instead) but I am told that smb can talk Linux to Linux

Similar Threads

  1. Networking to a WIndows Workgroup?
    By diogenes in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:44 AM
  2. Networking windows to Linux
    By Phishman in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
  3. Knoppix and windows networking
    By Jakykong in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:29 AM
  4. Networking on Windows 2000 - help!
    By JLocke in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
  5. Networking Knoppic (CD) and windows XP
    By xarkangelx in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95