-
Junior Member
registered user
Undetected LinkSys Ether16 Net Card
Im having trouble figuring out how to get my LinkSys Ether16 ISA Lan Card to detect. I've tried the relevant cheat codes, tried everything I can find in searches but most of them appear to be based on the assumption that the card is detected, just not set up correctly. When I run the commands to either load a module (8390 & ne) I just get an error about no such device (forget the exact wording). I've done web searches, but it appears to me that knoppix uses a different config setup, so once I boot into knoppix, I usually find that the files which were mentioned dont exist, or the commands arent recognized. I've run 'procinfo -f' and it doesnt list the IRQ which the net card is set for. (The card is set via a dos util to IRQ 5 / IO 0x300.) Unfortunately my BIOS doesnt allow me to directly assign an IRQ that I can find. I can set a slot to ISA mode, which I've tried with the slot the card is on, same results from knoppix. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I'm V E R Y new to Linux. Really, I've only tried 3 cd only formats, none of which I can get to detect my card.
Thanks
Brad
I'll post back 'lspci -v' and other outputs, as soon as I can reboot back to the knoppix cd.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, nevermind... Im actually in Knoppix right now!
There is another thread titled
'How to load module for undetected NIC
" http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3289
which had just the info I needed. took me a while to figure out how to get into root though, because when I ran it from the default cmdline it gave errors about not having the correct permissions or something similar. Anyway... YEAH! In the end what worked . . .
Open a command window
"su" - to switch to root
"modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=5" - to force card detection
"procinfo -f" - to check if the IRQ is now showing up as active
"netcardconfig" - to set the card up to use DHCP.
"ifconfig -a" - to view the cards new settings.
Now, I've 2 new questions.
1) Is there somewhere I can save this, so that I happens automatically when I boot from the CD?
2) I've found some commands which are prefixed with sudo. Is this essentially sending a command to the root level? I mean, instead of doing 'su' first to switch to root, can I just alter the lines to read something like :
"sudo modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=5"
"sudo netcardconfig"
Thanks
Brad
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
scissors
1) Is there somewhere I can save this, so that I happens automatically when I boot from the CD?
You could use either the save config to floppy or persistant home options that are in the Knoppix menu off the main Kmenu. Then when you boot from the CD you would use IIRC knoppix floppyconfig or knoppix home=scan at the boot: prompt a search of the forum would provide more information on these options.
2) I've found some commands which are prefixed with sudo. Is this essentially sending a command to the root level? I mean, instead of doing 'su' first to switch to root, can I just alter the lines to read something like :
"sudo modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=5"
"sudo netcardconfig"
Thanks
Brad
I believe when you save the config to the floppy or the persistant home the settings will be used properly on boot I run from the HD so I am not 100% certain as I have not tested these options.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
scissors
1) Is there somewhere I can save this, so that I happens automatically when I boot from the CD?
You could use either the save config to floppy or persistant home options that are in the Knoppix menu off the main Kmenu. Then when you boot from the CD you would use IIRC
knoppix floppyconfig or
knoppix home=scan at the boot: prompt a search of the forum would provide more information on these options.
2) I've found some commands which are prefixed with sudo. Is this essentially sending a command to the root level? I mean, instead of doing 'su' first to switch to root, can I just alter the lines to read something like :
"sudo modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=5"
"sudo netcardconfig"
Thanks
Brad
I believe when you save the config to the floppy or the persistant home the settings will be used properly on boot I run from the HD so I am not 100% certain as I have not tested these options.
Thanks! I tried it, and it didnt reload much of my settings, but atleast I know what to search for now.
Brad
Similar Threads
-
By Guitar_Geek in forum Networking
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
-
By danoreilly in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
-
By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-16-2004, 06:40 AM
-
By TomJoad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
-
By ys0304 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

Dell Optiplex 5080 Intel Core i5 10th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop
$125.75

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$125.96

SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU
$19.99

Dell OptiPlex 3050 (256 GB SSD, Intel Core i5 7th gen, 8 GB RAM) Working
$49.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$189.99

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21