-
Senior Member
registered user
Boot / boot loader problems
I am running into a minor snag that perhaps someone could help with. It's not a show-stopper per se, but is not the optimal situation.
I have two hard drives in my system, 120 GB and 80 GB, both Western Digital IDE. Windows 98SE resides on the 120 GB drive (primary master) and Linux (installed from Knoppix) resides on the 80 GB drive (primary slave). All partitions except the ReiserFS Linux partition are FAT32. Linux can see all the partitions, Win 98 sees all but the Linux and swap partitions.
The problem is as follows: Win98SE cannot directly "see" the 120 gig drive without help; I had to use the WD OEM utilities to install an INT 13h handler (EZ-BIOS) in the boot track of the first hard drive and partition the drive. This means that I can't install a boot loader to the boot track, since it will clobber EZ-BIOS. My current solution is to use GAG graphical boot manager http://gag.sourceforge.net from floppy, which then boots into LiLo on the second drive. This works OK, but I would rather boot directly from a hard drive and skip the floppy.
A message I once read implied that there's a version of fdisk out there that works with Win98 and does not require the INT 13h handler. Does anyone know where I can get this version?
All in all, I'm pretty happy with this install. I'm learning more about Linux than I ever have, and I'm running about 90% Linux now; it would probably be more, if not for the fact that I have a part-time job teaching computers to seniors in a nearby town -- they all run Windows in various flavors, and that ain't gonna change for a while (not that I can't sneak in a little something about Mozilla, etc. sometimes).
Similar Threads
-
By killem in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-17-2005, 06:45 AM
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 03:29 AM
-
By /dash in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:39 PM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
-
By luro95 in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 04:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00