-
Junior Member
registered user
Compaq mv monitor woes.
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
-
Re: Compaq mv monitor woes.

Originally Posted by
rdoma219
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?
Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.
HTH,
- - Edwin
-
Junior Member
registered user
rdoma219 wrote:
Does anyone know how to get knoppix running on a compaq presario, I have heard about changing the screen resolution inthe boot prompt but I am not sure how to go about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You might need to be a little more specific. Are you booting from the CD? And what goes wrong?
Anyway, if you are booting from the CD press F2 at the boot-prompt. This will give you a list of boot-options. For laptops (and a Compaq Pressario is a laptop, isn't it) the code 'fb1024x768' (or whatever your screen resolution is) will usually work. I have not any idea what this option does, execpt that 'fb' stands for framebuffer. But for me it worked on 2 Toshiba's.
HTH,
- - Edwin
Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
-

Originally Posted by
rdoma219
rdoma219 wrote:
:shock: Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop?
I don't know. Don't think so, but you could just try it. As you are booting from CD your entire OS runs in memory. You can't do any harm. If it does not work just reboot.
Also there are more boot-options (cheat-codes) then the F2 trick reveals. You can have a look at them here. You can string them together. For starters you could try 'knoppix 2' or 'knoppix 2 vga=normal'. If that gives you a console the problem is with xserver, but I must confess that I am a little out of depht with that.
I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
The exact wording of the message on screen would probally help. That is (just) one of the great things of Linux: the error-messages actually help; they don't leave you wondering what sort of marketing-ploy is unleashed on your machine if you click OK ;=)
- - Edwin
-
Senior Member
registered user
In addition to the above suggestions you could try the noddc cheat code to stop auto-detection of the monitor some monitors have a problem with that which causes them to blank and that may be happening here.
-

Thanks Edwin, actually a presario is a desktop, will the above option work on a desktop? I am booting from the cd and my screen goes blank and I get a message about resolution on the screen just like you do when you turn on the monitor and not the cpu, does that make any sense.
I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have exactly the same problem. Try pushing [CTRL] [ALT] [+] a few times. It should let you use the 640x480 mode. I'm going to try and see if Mandrake 9.1 has better out of the box support and I'll post again. Further advice is appreciated
Thanks for the info, it worked, now I have to enter a code to change the language from german to english.
Similar Threads
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By Shadda in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
-
By maul in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:56 PM
-
By comanam in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Protectli Vault FW4A 4-Port Firewall Intel E3845 AES-NI 4GB RAM 120GB mSATA
$169.99

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99